Tennis-Raducanu says heading in the right direction on clay

– U.S. Open champion Emma Raducanu has little expertise on clay on the elite stage however the 19-year-old says she is on the right track on the floor forward of the French Open beginning later this month.

Raducanu has had combined outcomes following her maiden Grand Slam title finally yr’s U.S. Open however has had an encouraging run within the claycourt season the place she reached the Stuttgart quarter-finals and Madrid last-16.

She has been determining tips on how to adapt to the floor with out the assistance of a full-time coach after splitting with Torben Beltz final month, and the Briton has taken a liking to the independence of teaching herself.

“I’d describe myself as a loner,” Raducanu, who faces Bianca Andreescu within the Italian Open first spherical this week, advised reporters.

“For the previous yr … I’ve had lots of people round me quite a bit and fairly often.

“To be alone is attention-grabbing as a result of I’m type of discovering out quite a bit about myself, understanding what I would like and what I don’t want.”

Raducanu performed her first skilled match on clay within the Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers final month and stated she has been studying concerning the floor as she performs.

“Clay could be very new to me,” she added.

“I undoubtedly really feel like I've been progressing with every week, bettering, getting a greater understanding of tips on how to play factors, when to remain within the level or when to remain aggressive.

“I don’t assume I’m just like the completed product in any respect. However, yeah, I’m heading in a great route.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post