I spent £300 on my hair for labour & wore false eyelashes and stick-on nails – I topped up my makeup while 6cm dilated

PUSHING and panting, Raven Dixon-Biggs took a deep breath because the contractions swept by means of her.

Then - at 40 weeks pregnant and in lively labour - she reached for her secret weapons… her favorite Nars basis and Revolution lipstick.

Raven did not let pregnancy or labour deter her from looking as glam as she could
Raven didn't let being pregnant or labour deter her from wanting as glam as she mightCredit score: Raven Dixon-Biggs

Knowing her baby would meet her for the first time looking her best gave her the confidence she needed in labour
Figuring out her child would meet her for the primary time wanting her finest gave her the boldness she wanted in labourCredit score: Raven Dixon-Biggs

“It gave me a way of calm as I waited for my child, my first little one, to reach,” she says.  

“Even at 6cm dilated, when different girls are screaming in agony, I used to be topping up my powder.

“And whereas different mums pack hospital luggage full of muslins, child grows and nipple cream, I jammed mine with a make-up sack overflowing with my favorite manufacturers. 

“I rigorously put it on the nightstand subsequent to me and seeing it there - and having the ability to replace my look throughout labour - crammed me with a way of deep calm. 

“In the meantime, realizing my child would see me wanting nice the primary time we met gave me the boldness to get pleasure from labour.”

Buyer account supervisor Raven, from Birmingham, spoke as Line of Obligation actress Vicky McClure revealed she’d deserted make-up fully. 

It’s not one thing the 27-year-old, now a single mum to 13-month-old Remington, who arrived weighing 7Ib 11oz at  Birmingham Metropolis Hospital after a five-and-a-half hour lively labour following induction on December 1, 2020, might think about doing.

“As he arrived into the world, I used to be carrying faux eyelashes, a £300 weave and extensions, mascara and stick-on-nails,” she says.

“It empowered me in the course of the beginning. It gave me one thing to consider apart from the ache.

“My face stuffed with make-up was my secret birthing weapon. I’m pleased with myself and I received’t be criticised - despite the fact that I used to be given some bizarre appears to be like by different mums.” 

Raven deliberate her ‘labour look’ within the months forward of Remington’s arrival, saving as much as purchase her weave, having a pre-labour manicure and pedicure and eyebrow shaping.

For the supply suite, she packed a glittery pink supersized suitcase with sufficient make-up, magnificence merchandise, masks, curlers, tongs and garments for a two-week vacation. 

And she or he thinks extra mums ought to make an effort to look glam for his or her newborns. 

“Full glam make-up and looking out fabulous to welcome my new child was all a part of my birthing plan and I'm not ashamed,” she says.  

“I believe extra mums ought to put within the effort to look good within the birthing room as a result of it’s empowering. 

“Shaming a brand new mum about how she appeared when or selected to look whereas giving beginning is unsuitable,” she says.

Raven Dixon-Biggs

“I needed my son to fulfill his mum whereas she appeared like a queen, not a crone.

“That’s what occurred and there hasn’t been a day since that I haven’t discovered the time to placed on my glam face, faux lashes, do my nails and gown correctly. 

“Make-up has at all times been my armour and giving beginning is a a few times in a lifetime expertise. I needed to look wonderful to welcome my first little one.

“I realise folks will troll me and have a go after they learn this story, however I don’t care as a result of my recommendation is wise.

“I additionally know some mums in child teams could be nasty when you look good and gown up. I stood my floor and complained after I was made to not really feel welcome due to what I appeared like. You should not be criticised when you gown up or gown down. I gown as much as really feel good. Mums needs to be so judgemental. I settle for everybody. 

“I could not imagine how nasty some could possibly be and I wish to study from my expertise.”

She says anybody who trolled her was ‘spoiling for a combat’.

“Shaming a brand new mum about how she appeared when or selected to look whereas giving beginning is unsuitable,” she says.

“Some mums have music soundtracks, others desire a room full of flowers or particular lighting. I needed full make-up and my prime up equipment close by after I had my son.”

Nonetheless the beginning wasn’t stress-free.

“I used to be apprehensive my weave would slip or I’d lose my false eyelashes however in the long run they didn’t transfer,” she says.

“That’s the true take a look at of make-up. I like to recommend Revolution for labour.”

And after Remington arrived she briefly slept earlier than having a bathe, turning into her post-birth outfit - a brand new celebratory River Island cardigan and Misguided leggings and prime - and reapplying her make-up.

“I needed to make sure I appeared nice after he awakened,” she says. “I felt identical to Kate Middleton - she appeared sensible leaving the hospital after having her children. 

“The photograph of me and Remington hours after I gave beginning after I’d reapplied my make-up and bought dressed is considered one of my favourites. 

“Some mums in hospital gave me evil stares whereas the nurses complimented me on my submit beginning glow-up. 

“However a few the mums requested to borrow my lippy and mascara. I believe they have been impressed by me.”

Even now Raven received’t let requirements slide.

“I by no means go away the home and even put out the bins with out my glam on,” she says.  

“I even learnt to breastfeed whereas making use of make-up. Now I get up at 4am each day to present Remington his first feed. 

“Whereas he sleeps, I've a bathe and do my full face, together with false eyelashes, contour and pickout my outfit for the day. 

“Remington has his second breakfast after which we're prepared for the park or a mums’ group.” 

Raven admitted she does get nasty appears to be like and is trolled for being so glam. “Individuals assume I’m both foolish or a menace,” she says. “However I’d by no means present up at playgroup in a tee and joggers. Nonetheless, I don’t choose mums who do.”

Raven says her each day make-up and sweetness routine means she will get much less sleep however is vital for her vanity. “My son is my focus and if I've to rise up half-an-hour earlier, I do,” she says. “Making the trouble has helped me deal with the stress of being a single mum. I spend round £30 a month on make-up and that’s normally Poundland equipment, bargains I discover on-line, eBay and samples.  

“I nonetheless find time for a manicure and to have my eyebrows achieved. It’s mummy time and Remington sleeps soundly whereas it occurs. 

“If folks don’t prefer it they'll b****r off.”

Raven with her son, Remington, she said she often gets up earlier than she needs to put a full-face of makeup on
Raven along with her son, Remington, she mentioned she typically will get up sooner than she must put a full-face of make-up onCredit score: Raven Dixon-Biggs

Raven admits she gets nasty looks for her being so glam but says mums should support each other
Raven admits she will get nasty appears to be like for her being so glam however says mums ought to assist one anotherCredit score: Raven Dixon-Biggs

For extra real-life tales try the ladies too stunning to pay for issues and at all times bag freebies.

Plus, I awakened after having a seizure and forgot the final 20 years of my life, I could not keep in mind my children' birthdays.

FABULOUS BINGO: GET A £5 FREE BONUS WITH NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post