I’m a domestic violence survivor & married a man who murdered his wife – people judge me, but he manipulated me

A DOMESTIC violence survivor who escaped her abusive relationship to go on to marry a person who murdered his spouse claims she was manipulated into the wedding.

Stephanie Garcia met her now ex-husband Gerardo Castaneda only a month after he was launched from jail, having served 20 years for the homicide of his first spouse in 1996.

Stephanie Garcia escaped a violent relationship to go on and marry a convicted murderer
Stephanie Garcia escaped a violent relationship to go on and marry a convicted assassinCredit score: Kennedy Information

She met Gerardo Castaneda just a month after he was released from prison, after serving 20 years for the murder of his first wife in 1996
She met Gerardo Castaneda only a month after he was launched from jail, after serving 20 years for the homicide of his first spouse in 1996Credit score: Kennedy Information

Stephanie claims she was manipulated by her ex-husband who left her just a year after they were married
Stephanie claims she was manipulated by her ex-husband who left her only a 12 months after they had been marriedCredit score: Kennedy Information

Due to her experiences of home violence in earlier relationships, the 49-year-old says she had grow to be accustomed to violent males and so she did not initially see his previous as a cause to not date him, since he confirmed 'regret' for his crime.

However when she claims her Gerardo dumped her with none rationalization after being collectively for a 12 months, she says she realised that she had allowed the convict to 'manipulate' her by treating her so properly.

The mum-of-two feels her ex-husband 'took benefit' of her previous as a sufferer of home violence, by 'sweeping her off her toes' with charming behaviour so in contrast to the remedy she was used to.

Stephanie, now a parole case supervisor, hopes to boost consciousness of home violence and to encourage individuals to be extra understanding of the impression it has on survivors.

Stephanie, from Santa Rosa, Texas, mentioned: "I met this man and he was actually type and attentive to my wants and the whole lot each lady would need.

"He had 20 years in jail to spend occupied with how he was going to deal with a lady when he acquired out and so he handled me very nicely.

"He completely swept me off my toes and inside seven months we had been married.

"He did confess that he'd gone to jail for murdering his spouse and it appeared on the time that he was extraordinarily remorseful.

"Since I had been accustomed to being with a violent man - I am unable to imagine I am saying this - however on the time it did not appear all that dangerous.

"However now I look again and assume 'my god what was I pondering, I married a person that killed his spouse'.

"Another lady would have ran the opposite approach however due to my life experiences I allowed him to control me.

"I really feel like he actually took benefit of my prior life experiences, which was that the relationships I would been in had been so violent and he preyed on that.

"These guys spend a very long time in jail and what I've realized now's that they discover ways to manipulate ladies."

The mum was beforehand the sufferer of bodily home violence in two lengthy relationships, which she claims desensitised her to violent males and abusive relationships.

Stephanie says she had been fortunately single for eight years earlier than she ended up assembly Gerardo.

She was working in a faculty for troubled youths on the time and claims one in all her college students talked about that a member of the family had simply acquired out of jail.

As a agency believer in second probabilities, she claims she supplied for the person to get in contact together with her to see if she might assist together with his transition again into society in any approach.

Regardless of 'by no means intending' to grow to be romantically concerned with him, Stephanie claims the convict 'swept her off her toes' and the pair married after simply seven months of courting, in July 2016.

The home violence survivor says the 'light, remorseful' demeanor Gerardo offered himself with meant she did not have any doubts about marrying him on the time.

Stephanie mentioned: "We began courting in a short time, inside weeks after which just a few weeks later he instructed me his crime.

I believe it is unfair to a survivor of home violence to be judged so harshly

Stephanie Garcia

"When he instructed me that he'd killed his spouse I had plenty of compassion for him as a result of he cried and made it sound like he did not imply to take her life and I believed him on the time."

Nonetheless, after only a 12 months of being collectively - by which he all the time handled her nicely - Stephanie claims Gerardo simply left her at some point with out an evidence.

Stephanie believes that her now ex-husband had 'manipulated' her from the start and she or he questions his emotions for her all through their marriage.

Nonetheless, since sharing her expertise on-line, Stephanie claims she is continually judged by others for marrying a convicted assassin.

Stephanie mentioned: "I believe it is unfair to a survivor of home violence to be judged so harshly as a result of I really feel that the choice I made to become involved with a person that had murdered his spouse actually got here again to the truth that I had been in abusive relationships for thus lengthy.

"I do imagine that he paid his debt to society - he spent 20 years of his life in jail and it actually would not make sense however I'm an individual that believes that folks deserve second probabilities.

"However I additionally know from working with that inhabitants that these individuals know the way to manipulate - individuals choose me for getting concerned with him however he manipulated me and other people do not perceive that.

"I am older now and extra mature so I can see that now."

Hidalgo County Courtroom confirmed that Gerardo Castaneda pled responsible to first diploma homicide (felony) on 22 December 1996 and was sentenced to twenty years imprisonment.

Stefanie says she was 'swept off her feet' Gerado having been so used to being treated badly
Stefanie says she was 'swept off her toes' Gerado having been so used to being handled badlyCredit score: Kennedy Information

She wants to raise awareness of domestic violence and says people should be given a better understanding of the impact domestic abuse has on survivors
She needs to boost consciousness of home violence and says individuals needs to be given a greater understanding of the impression home abuse has on survivorsCredit score: Kennedy Information

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post