West Ham skipper Dagny Brynjarsdottir opens up on hopes of sharing silverware win with her son

DAGNY BRYNJARSDOTTIR goals of lifting her first main trophy in England for the reason that start of her son Brynjar in 2018.

The West Ham captain needs that image excellent second of her youngster and her celebrating a silverware win with the Irons. 

Dagny Brynjarsdottir hopes to reach a cup final with West Ham for the first time since joining the club in 2021
Dagny Brynjarsdottir hopes to achieve a cup remaining with West Ham for the primary time since becoming a member of the membership in 2021Credit score: Getty

The Irons captain and her team-mates take on Aston Villa in the fifth round of the Women's FA Cup later
The Irons captain and her team-mates tackle Aston Villa within the fifth spherical of the Ladies's FA Cup laterCredit score: PA

Brynjarsdottir has gained 19 trophies together with NWSL and Bundesliga titles with Portland Thorns and Bayern Munich.

Right this moment the striker, 31, who grew up in Hella in Iceland, will lead her team-mates in a conflict with Aston Villa for an FA Cup quarter-final spot. 

The striker, who has been a Hammers fan since childhood, informed SunSport: "I gained a variety of trophies earlier than I turned a mum, however I truly have not had one since then. 

"I am nonetheless ready for the one title the place I can take an image of myself and my son (holding a trophy).

"I wish to make it to a remaining with the group. 

"It will likely be onerous, however I wish to go all the way in which.

"Hopefully it should occur this season.”

With the membership, seventh within the WSL, having battled Manchester Metropolis in an FA Cup remaining in 2019, Brynarsdottir is keen to see them vying for the trophy at Wembley once more. 

The striker added:  "With the place we're within the league in the intervening time, clearly we're not going to win that, so cup video games are essential for us.

"It will imply rather a lot to me and to the membership. We're on this to win trophies."

This time period Brynjarsdottir was named group captain by boss Paul Konchesky after serving to the Irons to sixth place final season.

It's their highest WSL place to this point. 

She is a part of a small crop of present WSL stars who've given start throughout their elite taking part in careers. 

They embrace Chelsea's Melanie Leupolz and Studying skipper Emma Mukandi who've each given start up to now two years. 

Brynjarsdottir’s son was born in June 2018 throughout her three-year spell at Nationwide Ladies’s Soccer League giants Portland Thorns. 

Changing into a guardian along with her husband Omar has made Brynjarsdottir much more centered as a footballer. 

The Irons captain added: "I am in all probability a greater team-mate as I’m extra chilled now.

"Earlier than I used to be a guardian, if I performed properly or had a nasty recreation, I might be occupied with it for days.

"However there is no time for that once I'm dwelling, I've to be a mum.

"It is good and it is wholesome to have the ability to swap on and off.

“Clearly it is not straightforward on a regular basis particularly if my son is sick or I am doing a variety of travelling. The ‘mum guilt’ can kick in fairly a bit. 

“However nonetheless, I attempt to get one of the best out of myself whereas I am coaching or taking part in in a match.”

Brynjarsdottir sees an excellent help system as very important when combining motherhood with knowledgeable profession for membership and nation. 

And she or he praised West Ham and gaffer Konchesky for offering a household membership atmosphere within the literal sense. 

She provides: “Final month when my husband needed to fly to Iceland, I needed to deliver my son to a Saturday coaching session as a result of I had him on my own.  

“Konch (Paul Konchesky) introduced his youngsters in in order that they have been babysitting my son on the coaching floor. 

Brynjarsdottir says West Ham and Konchesky have been supportive when she brings her son to training
Brynjarsdottir says West Ham and Konchesky have been supportive when she brings her son to coachingCredit score: PA

"My son loves to come back to the membership.

"His spotlight on recreation days is to come back into the altering room after matches.

“It's totally useful to have workers and a supervisor who're understanding.”

Help for professional footballers who're moms has been an ongoing subject up to now few years. 

In January Brynjarsdottir’s pal Sara Bjork Gunnarsdottir shared particulars of her landmark maternity pay declare towards her former membership Lyon. 

The midfielder, who retired from taking part in for Iceland this 12 months, not paid her full wage while pregnant on the membership

Final August, Fifa ordered the French giants to pay the total quantity owed to her,

It was a ruling she hailed as a wake-up name for golf equipment. 

Brynjarsdottir, who performed with the midfielder for Iceland ultimately summer time’s Euros, stated: “What Sarah did is nice for the longer term and it wasn't straightforward for her 

“I am simply very grateful to her and I do know (the state of affairs) took a toll as a result of it was an enormous combat with Lyon.

Brynjarsdottir praised her compatriot Sara Bjork Gunnarsdottir after she bravely fought and won a battle for maternity pay
Brynjarsdottir praised her compatriot Sara Bjork Gunnarsdottir after she bravely fought and gained a battle for maternity payCredit score: Getty

"Supporting mums is one thing golf equipment must get proper in the event that they wish to be part of how briskly the (girls’s) recreation is rising. 

“That is essential for future mums who play skilled soccer as a result of there can be extra within the recreation and different sports activities.

"West Ham and Portland Thorns handled me properly.

"I have been very fortunate with that, however I do know that is not the case in all places. Hopefully sooner or later will probably be."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post