Soul legend Lee Fields: 'Artificial intelligence will be the future artists’ greatest adversary'

“Are you cheerful?”

Such is the repeated, mantra-esque query that American soul legend Lee Fields asks his viewers throughout his stay reveals.

Armed along with his ever-powerful voice and a powerful assortment of jackets that vary from Sgt Peppers-style blazers to gold-patterned tuxes, the 73-year-old has nonetheless bought it, and is aware of placed on a efficiency that ensures his viewers can’t assist however really feel completely happy.

Over a prolific profession of greater than 5 many years and greater than 20 albums, Fields has earned the popularity because the true king of funk-soul. Having labored with the likes of Kool and the Gang, Bobby Womack, Charles Bradley and Sharon Jones, his story is one among perseverance and keenness.

He has formally joined the Daptone roster along with his new document 'Sentimental Idiot', a deep and exquisite album which was one among our greatest albums of the 2022.

At the moment on tour, Euronews Tradition caught up with him earlier than his stay present in Lyon, France, to speak about his profession, his appreciation for Miley Cyrus, the risks that AI songwriting poses to music, and the fun of touring on the age of 73…

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields - Stay in Lyon - 2023David Mouriquand

Euronews Tradition: Earlier than speaking about your new album and the tour, are you able to inform me what you wished to be once you have been youthful? If I’m not mistaken, you didn’t wish to be a singer…

Lee Fields: No, I wished to be a enterprise man. I bought into music on a dare. A buddy of mine dared me to take part in a expertise present and from then, the band employed me to be their singer and it by no means stopped!

Your first musical spark was The Beatles, proper?

Completely! The Beatles and Jimmy Reed. What amazed me about The Beatles was the best way they introduced themselves like futuristic guys. At the moment, to see somebody strolling out on stage with the boots that they'd on, the haircuts that they'd, and to have a drummer on a risen platform – and it’s been that approach ever since. All of the rock stars have their drummers on an increase. After which lengthy hair has been round ever since. In order that they modified the world and to this point, that change hasn’t deviated to one thing else. It’s nonetheless the identical. 

And what I favored about Jimmy Reed… For those who hear carefully to The Beatles, you may hear Jimmy Reed. Hearken to 'Huge Boss Man' or 'Child What You Need Me To Do', and also you’ll hear that they have been influenced by him. After which, after all, James Brown. Nation and Western music too, with Dolly Parton. She was a child – about 16 – when she began to hit the lights. I used to be influenced by all of them.

You’ve been very open concerning the highs and lows of your profession and the way you felt probably doomed with the arrival of disco within the 70s. You even give up music for some time within the 80s and labored in actual property… How have you ever managed to persevere and hold your ardour alive for soul music?

I relied on one e-book – the Bible. Now, I’m not arguing with individuals over what's true and what isn’t, however I imagine the Bible is certainly the message of God. I began studying that e-book when every thing round me gave the impression to be evaporating, when all my goals have been crushed. I learn the King James model. The outdated English was crucial. Again then, you couldn’t go on a pc and get the that means of phrases. You needed to look them up. And I used to be curious to know whether or not I may get the true that means of what it meant. I must know the etymology of the phrase at the moment. I used to be at all times reluctant to get into the brand new translations. Like again within the day, ‘pot’ was once one thing you cook dinner in. Now, it’s one thing you get excessive on. And now, you hear them speaking much less about pot and extra about weed… However weed initially is grass on the market in nature. Our language is continually altering and the fundamental that means of the phrase ‘corrupt’ within the Bible means ‘altering of the language’. The Bible itself I attribute to every thing that has occurred to me.

So, if anyone out there's in a depressive stage, that is the start. Melancholy is the start of one thing nice. As a result of once you’re depressed, God is telling you to look deeply and carefully to point out you get out of this. I’ve had my ups and downs. But it surely’s been great – it’s taken me all around the planet and I had fun and stored my household collectively. That’s lovely.

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields stay - Lyon 2023David Mouriquand
widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
My marriage has contributed to every thing in my life. If I provide you with my phrase, I’m gonna strive by any means attainable to maintain my phrase to you. As a result of my phrase to me is who I'm. And I’m not wishy-washing.

You’ve collaborated with a number of the greats through the years – B.B. King, Kool and the Gang, Mavis Staples – a number of the legends of music. Do any stand out specifically?

All of them have been significant, however Kool and the Gang can be probably essentially the most. After I was with Kool, they hadn’t had a launch out on the time. Kool and I grew to become buddies, and him and I have been fairly tight. Their supervisor had determined to document me. And after they launched their first album, the hits continued coming. It grew to become a success machine. However working with them for a short time was essentially the most life altering expertise, musically talking, of my life. After I watched them go off and achieve success from the sidelines, I used to be hurting in a approach. I wished to be there, however I understood. That’s the best way life rolls – it wasn’t meant to be.

Your new album, 'Sentimental Idiot', is your first document withfamed New York labelDaptone Information. Why wait so lengthy for that collaboration, which looks as if an ideal match?

As a result of my entire function was not about making an attempt to get well-known. My entire function was not about making an attempt to get wealthy. What I wished to do is what that internal voice was telling me. And it wasn’t time. Sharon Jones on the time got here to Desco Information by way of me… Charles (Bradley) got here by way of me… The entire starting began with me… But it surely’s not about me. It’s about us. I hate to make use of that phrase ‘me’. ‘Me’ appears like I’m all of that. I’m not all of that. Prefer it says within the Bible: "For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." But it surely took a very long time as a result of the circle needed to be full, and to this point, it has been a wonderful expertise. And it was lastly time.

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields stay - Lyon 2023David Mouriquand

There’s an honesty and positivity that resonates all through this album. It’s additionally an extremely romantic album. You’ve been married to your spouse for over 50 years now. How has that relationship formed this romantic verve that may be felt in 'Sentimental Idiot'?

My marriage has contributed to every thing in my life. If I provide you with my phrase, I’m gonna strive by any means attainable to maintain my phrase to you. As a result of my phrase to me is who I'm. And I’m not wishy-washing. If I inform in entrance of individuals and the preacher “To loss of life will we half”, that’s my intentions. And I imply by way of pure loss of life. You already know what I’m sayin’? And nonetheless steadfast and making an attempt to do every thing I can to maintain that marriage occurring till that dreadful time comes. It’s all about individuals doing what they are saying. In the course of the dangerous instances, and there’s been some dangerous instances, I depend on the belief on what the nice e-book says. And I’m not simply occurring concerning the Bible. It doesn't matter what faith. In case your faith tells you that there’s a better energy and to like your neighbour and to do the fitting factor to individuals, then that’s good – no matter what your faith is. I've respect for all religions.

widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
Soul doesn’t have color – there’s simply as many white soul artists as there are Black soul artists. It’s all about singing from the ideas. If an individual calls themselves a soul artist they usually’re telling you to do all types of treacherous issues, then they’re masquerading.

There’s one thing of a soul revival for the time being. What do you make of that and the enduring legacy of the style?

I feel soul, because the starting, when God put breath within the nostrils of Adam and he grew to become a residing soul, has been right here. Adam was the primary soul man. And I’m not talking of color, now. Soul doesn’t have color – there’s simply as many white soul artists as there are Black soul artists. It’s all about singing from the ideas. If an individual calls themselves a soul artist they usually’re telling you to do all types of treacherous issues, then they’re masquerading. I’m very cautious with the lyrics I put on the market. I don’t wanna sing simply something. As a result of it’s all about survival, and step one to survival is maintaining everyone on track, as a result of there’s so many deceptive data on the market. If we hear and imagine the issues we hear, it might be whole chaos, it might be the top of what we all know immediately as civilization. It’s about maintaining the thoughts intact.

A large number of artists have sampled your music through the years – modern artists like A$AP Rocky and Travis Scott, as an example. How does it really feel once you hear your music in that totally different context?

It feels good! And it feels financially good! (Laughs) I attempt to keep as grounded as attainable as a result of no matter what you accumulate on this world, you by no means actually accumulate something. You possibly can have thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, however once you take that final breath, no matter your property are, they’re right here. They don’t go along with you. So, I’m extremely flattered by so many issues which might be taking place in my life – touring, being sampled, speaking with you proper now… However I take it daily and keep as centered as I can and do what I can with the time that I've left. And when artists pattern my songs, I’m flattered and I’m appreciative!

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields stay - Lyon 2023David Mouriquand
widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
I like Miley Cyrus. No matter her new launch is now, I feel it’s going to be a mega hit for her.

Are there any modern artists which have impressed you, that you simply take heed to, or which have had an affect on you in any approach?

Yeah, I like Miley Cyrus. No matter her new launch is now, I feel it’s going to be a mega hit for her. I heard it as soon as earlier than I left the States, and it’s nice. I like that singer with the music ‘I Made You Look’… What’s her title?

Meghan Trainor...

Meghan Trainor! That’s the one. There’s additionally a lady referred to as Fousheé. She’s out of Plainfield, my city. I feel she has a really shiny future. However I take heed to a lot stuff. I additionally like a number of the rap guys. A few of them get a bit too raunchy for me. I’m not knocking their music, now! They see issues that I don’t see. And I’m not basing issues on what I feel is true for others. I’m simply residing my life on what I feel is true.

I like plenty of the younger artists immediately – Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran… I labored with Ed Sheeran once we have been in Australia collectively. This man is so large – he fills up colosseums, man! Solely him and a guitar! I like plenty of the stuff that’s occurring immediately. Life is so many fragrances and so many tastes. For those who’re driving with me in my automotive, one minute I’m listening to some nation, the following minute I’m listening to some funk – I am going by way of the entire gang!

widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
These algorithms would be the future artists’ biggest adversary. However on the finish of the day, there’ll be nothing to ever exchange when an individual sings with pure ardour.

We’re listening to lots these days about synthetic intelligence and the way it’s affecting writing, music, and the way children aren’t even going to should do their exams and workouts due to AI software program and Chatbots… Nick Cave even referred to as it out and mentioned AI songwriting was “a grotesque mockery of what it's to be human”. How do you suppose that’s going to play a task in music?

Nicely, the algorithms are already getting used on daily basis they usually take an artist’s voice and might imitate it. I feel finally, there’s gonna be few artists that hit it actual. Computer systems – though it’s the best invention of recent time – we now have to regulate what it’s doing to us. Till we don’t. We may get to a degree the place we don’t know who we're or what we're. And with synthetic intelligence it may mimic something in the event that they get the fitting algorithms, it may maintain an precise dialog with you and present feelings. However we all know that actual feelings can’t be recreated like that – they arrive from what was created by God. These algorithms and synthetic intelligence would be the future artists’ biggest adversary. However on the finish of the day, there’ll be nothing to ever exchange when an individual sings with pure ardour.

Do you suppose AI may very well be the loss of life of soul music – actually music with a soul?

I don’t suppose something may cause the loss of life of soul music. There’s at all times gonna be someone feeling one thing. And people want that. But it surely’s going to be a harmful scenario. The best way it’s taking us… It’s getting launched so pleasantly into our minds, that folks may drift off into it. Like I mentioned, there’ll be nothing to ever exchange an individual singing with pure ardour. However there is perhaps fewer and fewer sooner or later, as a result of algorithms will turn into so well-liked that we get to a degree that once we hear one thing with out the algorithm, we modify it as a result of we’ll get so addicted. 

It’s harmful and we gotta be very cautious with plenty of issues in society immediately. We have to hold observe of the place we're and what we're, as a result of we is perhaps creating our biggest adversary. I’m all for science and progress – however don’t be just like the Trojans again within the day. Don’t suppose that the battle is gained, begin a celebration, and get sleeping. That’s when all hell breaks unfastened! (Laughs)

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields - Lyon 2023David Mouriquand
widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
Seeing individuals completely happy and in a jovial temper, in distinction to seeing what’s on the information and the atrocities that folks do… Man, seeing that energies me and provides me hope that there's and will probably be a future tranquility.

You’ve began touring for 'Sentimental Idiot' – do you continue to get pleasure from occurring tour?

Sure, I do. Seeing individuals completely happy and in a jovial temper, in distinction to seeing what’s on the information and the atrocities that folks do… Man, seeing that energies me and provides me hope that there's and will probably be a future tranquility. Nothing else prefer it to provide an individual extra hope for the world.

Do you get the time to go to the locations you’re going to through the tour – and even pattern a number of the delicacies?

Oh yeah! Meals is the very first thing on the listing! (Laughs) They’ve bought good meals in all places, however I’m actually into French delicacies. That’s why I really like New Orleans within the States a lot, as a result of they've plenty of similarities to French delicacies. I just like the meals in all places, however the French provide you with some dishes, man! It’s simply unreal! I attempt to hold my manners, so I gained’t be licking the plate, however I actually wish to! (Laughs)

It’s these items and seeing completely happy those that makes every thing price it. If I sit down and hear, learn or watch the information, I get very depressed. I feel that if an individual watches the information lengthy sufficient, they’d be strolling round depressing all day. As a result of the information concentrates on the dangerous information. There’s dangerous information all day lengthy. But when there’s excellent news, you solely hear it a few times. If it’s tragic, you hear all of it day. That’s what energizes the information media. Consider some great things! There’s lots of people doing good issues on the planet – let’s hear extra about them! We wish to hear every thing, however let’s hear about them slightly bit extra!

Thanks on your time, Mr. Fields.

I actually admire it, thanks.

David Mouriquand
Lee Fields (second from left) along with his Euronews followersDavid Mouriquand

Lee Fields is presently on the Sentimental Idiot Tour in France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden, earlier than heading to Canada and the US subsequent month.

Take a look at the video above for extracts of the interview with Lee Fields and clips from the live performance.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post