It's Time For 'Grey's Anatomy' To End Once And For All

Meredith's colleagues throw her a surprise goodbye party in a scene from Thursday night's episode of "Grey's Anatomy," star Ellen Pompeo's final episode as a main cast member.
Meredith's colleagues throw her a shock goodbye social gathering in a scene from Thursday evening's episode of "Gray's Anatomy," star Ellen Pompeo's ultimate episode as a essential solid member.
ABC

On Thursday evening, ABC’s long-running medical drama “Gray’s Anatomy” bid farewell to its titular character, Dr. Meredith Gray, as star Ellen Pompeo strikes on to different tasks, together with starring in and executive-producing a brand new Hulu collection.

It wasn’t precisely a shock: Pompeo has hinted at the potential for leaving for a number of seasons now. And, effectively, it has been 19 seasons, and our lady Meredith has skilled extra traumatic occasions than presumably any main TV character ever (as documented in this latest record from Vulture). Bombs, drownings, mass shootings, automobile crashes, aircraft crashes, miscarriages, giving start throughout an influence outage, almost dying from COVID-19, and grieving the deaths of lots of her family members — you identify it, she has in all probability been by way of it.

As Meredith herself mentioned in a Season 9 episode (a deep lower!): “Everyone seems to be leaving, and everyone seems to be dying.” An correct abstract of your complete collection.

Her departure marks yet one more transitional second for a present that has had many eras and shake-ups. It additionally marks an acceptable event for HuffPost’s resident “Gray’s” superfans, Marina Fang and Erin E. Evans, to have a dialog that we've usually had amongst ourselves: It’s time to finish the present as soon as and for all. Simply do it. Please.

Marina: Erin, to offer the readers some context, I really feel that we're two good individuals to have this dialog, having come to the present in numerous methods. You're just about an OG “Gray’s” fan, and I salute you for that. I'm somebody who remembers the period when “Gray’s” was the largest present on TV, however by no means actually had the time to sit down down and watch all of it ... till the early days of the pandemic, after I lastly binged it on Netflix (OK, I skipped some lesser seasons and episodes), and have now watched it often for the previous few years.

Why ought to the present finish now?

Erin: Sure, I’m positively an OG superfan. Chandra Wilson (the enduring Bailey) put it completely in your interview together with her: I used to be a kind of women in her dorm room watching Gray’s Anatomy in 2006. Actually standing in entrance of my, like, very small TV hanging on to each phrase of these scrumptious scripts within the Gray’s heyday.

Sadly, these days are lengthy gone. (Although, I’d argue this final season or so has given me some throwback vibes.) With Meredith and so lots of my different Gray’s faves gone, I’m prepared for it to be over. The magic is gone, and Thursday’s episode jogged my memory why I not often watch the present stay: I would like to have the ability to fast-forward by way of components I don’t care about, ahem, Teddy and Owen storylines. And fairly frankly, there may be NEVER sufficient Bailey. Perhaps this may change with Pompeo gone — however I doubt it.

Chandra Wilson, Ellen Pompeo and James Pickens Jr., the three remaining original cast members of "Grey's Anatomy" at a celebration of the show's 400th episode in 2022.
Chandra Wilson, Ellen Pompeo and James Pickens Jr., the three remaining unique solid members of "Gray's Anatomy" at a celebration of the present's four-hundredth episode in 2022.
Liliane Lathan through Getty Photos

Earlier Turning Factors

Marina: Precisely. And if this present had been an individual, it will be sufficiently old to be heading off to varsity proper now! It has gone by way of so many iterations and transitional durations. A few of them led to a resurgence in high quality — for me, Season 7, following that harrowing mass taking pictures within the Season 6 finale, was like a second golden age for the present. I additionally thought devoting a lot of Season 10 to giving Sandra Oh the nice sendoff she so deserved made that season stand out.

However such as you mentioned, the present has by no means fairly recaptured these hovering highs that made the primary few seasons a cultural phenomenon. And with all of these completely different turning factors and solid member exits, there have been many events the place it may have already ended and tied issues up in becoming methods.

Most lately, I keep that Season 17, the COVID season, may have made for a poetic ending. As I wrote on the time, it was actually admirable and poignant to dedicate a lot of the season to a serious TV character almost dying from COVID-19 after which coping with lengthy COVID signs, when so many individuals had been grappling with the identical experiences in actual life. However in fact, ABC renewed the present, after which the plotlines abruptly fast-forwarded to a world the place the pandemic was totally previously.

What are another earlier factors the place you assume the present may have ended?

Erin: Effectively, there was a degree the place I had given up on “Gray’s.” It was proper after Lexie died within the aircraft crash within the Season 8 finale. One thing about Season 9 didn’t sit proper with me, and I’ve mentioned for a few years that I’d return and watch, however I by no means have. I ended up returning to the collection when it was introduced that Sandra Oh was leaving after Season 10 as a result of I wanted to see my lady depart. In some respects, I feel it may have ended there.

Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh in Season 10 of "Grey's Anatomy."
Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh in Season 10 of "Gray's Anatomy."
Eric McCandless through Getty Photos

The Present’s New Period

Marina: We may go on and on about this, however it doesn't appear doubtless that ABC will hearken to us. “Gray’s” has lengthy been a dependable hit for the community by way of viewership and promoting. Showrunner Krista Vernoff, whom creator Shonda Rhimes hand-picked as her successor when she left ABC for Netflix, is leaving after this season. However it appears doubtless ABC will renew the present and promote somebody from inside as the brand new showrunner.

What would possibly the present appear to be with out Meredith? Will you retain watching?

Erin: I’m positively going to complete out this season. To be honest, I do like this new class of interns. They appear enjoyable and having them transfer into Meredith’s previous home in that winter premiere episode was a pleasant contact. I additionally do like recognizing veteran actors on the present, too; they usually have very nice cameos as sufferers. I used to be that Leonardo DiCaprio meme on Thursday’s episode after I realized that affected person was Patricia Richardson from “Dwelling Enchancment.” The opposite half that’s lacking for me now's that — I’m not likely lusting after anybody. That was an enormous a part of the intrigue in these earlier seasons. I really like me some Scott Speedman, however is he gonna keep on now that Meredith’s gone? Perhaps Kofi Siriboe may be part of now that “Queen Sugar” is over. I want one among my boos would be part of the solid, like Yahya Abdul-Mateen II or Jonathan Majors, however I do know they’re too busy in order that’s simply ridiculous wishful considering.

Marina: Sure, they’re too massive for “Gray’s” now. However 5 years in the past or so, it will have made excellent sense! I agree with you on the brand new interns, and I like that the writers have stuffed of their backstories to maintain us invested in them. A number of of these actors have popped up in different exhibits and flicks over the previous few years, so it’s good to see their stars on the rise. I additionally like that the writers have been discovering methods to create parallels between the brand new interns and the unique characters, whereas additionally acknowledging that instances have modified since 2005. However nonetheless, I ponder what number of extra new storylines the present can develop and maintain. It has been so many seasons! It’s onerous to not repeat issues, and sure, whereas the present’s components works, it's a components in any case.

Niko Terho, Alexis Floyd and Harry Shum Jr., three of the newest "Grey's Anatomy" cast members.
Niko Terho, Alexis Floyd and Harry Shum Jr., three of the latest "Gray's Anatomy" solid members.
Liliane Lathan through Getty Photos

How Will ‘Gray’s’ Finish, If And When It Finally Does?

In some unspecified time in the future, this present will finish, proper? I hope? However earlier than it does, are there lingering mysteries that you just assume the present must reply? For me, the one which instantly involves thoughts: I would like somebody to clarify on the report what occurred to Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) and why that exit was so abrupt. For a present with a number of abrupt solid member exits, this one felt essentially the most rushed, so one thing should have been occurring behind the scenes.

Erin: I desperately want the oral historical past of that story. I really like me some Justin Chambers, and Alex Karev’s progress from starting to finish was an unbelievable arc to comply with. I used to be one of many few who truly appreciated his ultimate episode, although everybody appears to hate it.

I do know she’s mentioned repeatedly that she wouldn’t come again. However in MY dream world, Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh) would simply present as much as wherever Meredith was working because the chief and say one thing actually paying homage to the early days. I don’t know the way that might even make sense, however that’s what I would like. The lifelike factor that I feel they might pull off is do one thing like a three-episode finale that flashes ahead over time and we see Zola going into neuro — or cardio — and simply being a badass surgeon with a scorching companion, and someway tying a bow again to the start.

Marina: Cristina is Meredith’s individual! However sure, Sandra Oh has made it very clear she has moved on, and she or he deserves that! Her spectacular physique of labor clearly speaks for itself.

I too have thought of how Zola will in all probability turn into a surgeon, since, effectively, each member of her household is or was a surgeon. In order that appears about proper (I actually hope they don't develop some form of spinoff about her as an grownup, however given this period of spinoffs, reboots, and so on., it will not shock me).

Each time the present does finish, I hope ABC broadcasts it effectively forward of time so that everybody will get ample time to organize. The writers can plan one thing massive, and we’ll have time to course of all of it.

Erin: And it’s gotta be higher than that sendoff for Meredith. I. WANT. TO. WEEP.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post