Ex-Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg reveals how VAR is making referees WORSE amid string of awful decisions

MARK CLATTENBURG has slammed VAR and claims it's making referees worse.

The ex-Premier League referee revealed the introduction of VAR virtually made him give up officiating.

Mark Clattenburg claims VAR is making refs fearful to make decisions
Mark Clattenburg claims VAR is making refs fearful to make choicesCredit score: Getty

PGMOL chief Howard Webb called a meeting with refs this week to address the problems with VAR
PGMOL chief Howard Webb known as a gathering with refs this week to handle the issues with VARCredit score: Getty

He believes it made him extra hesitant to make on-field choices, and extra reliant on VAR.

Clattenburg claims Prem refs are fearful of creating an incorrect resolution and having it overturned - however that results in VAR not intervening in any respect, as occurred when the ball struck Tomas Soucek's hand in West Ham's draw with Chelsea final weekend.

Clattenburg, 47, defined the problem to outdated William Hill and Footy Accumulators’ podcast, No Tippy Tappy Soccer, saying: “VAR has brought on a giant downside.

“It occurred to me after I went to China, I began not refereeing, and I really relied on the VAR. For the primary month I felt like I used to be going to give up.

“I believed, what am I doing? I’ve misplaced my core capability to decide. As a referee you make cut up second choices and I used to be so comfy at doing it.

"I’d made a lot of choices within the Premier League and I didn’t want VAR – nicely I may’ve wanted it generally, however to not the quantity that they’re utilizing it now.

“Once I see these referees now week in, week out, there's a concern, they usually’re scared to decide. The issue is while you’re scared to decide you don’t make one, after which the VAR doesn’t make one both.

“If we have a look at the West Ham resolution towards Chelsea on Saturday [Tomas Soucek's handball]… As a result of the referee doesn’t give it, the VAR then goes ‘I don’t need to give it as a result of he’s breaking his fall’, so it compounds the error.

FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS - BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS

“If the referee simply gave the penalty as he ought to have seen it and had the braveness to blow, the VAR would’ve supported it. So, now we have nonetheless obtained all of those issues with the referees not making the unique choices like we did in our time and that’s the distinction.”

VAR has come below a whole lot of scrutiny in current weeks with the Premier League pressured to apologise to Brighton and Arsenal after errors probably price them factors final weekend.

PGMOL chief Howard Webb known as an emergency assembly to try to clear up the issues whereas John Brooks was taken off VAR responsibility this week after incorrectly ruling a aim offside in Crystal Palace's draw with Brighton.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post