Shania Twain Reveals What She Had To Do To Protect Herself Against Stepdad's Abuse

As she prepares to kick off a brand new musical period, Shania Twain is taking time to mirror on private ache from her previous with the good thing about hindsight.

Talking to The Sunday Instances, the five-time Grammy winner recalled the sexual and bodily abuse she skilled by the hands of her stepfather, Jerry, and mentioned she altered her look as a coping mechanism.

“I hid myself, and I might flatten my boobs,” Twain mentioned. “I might put on bras that had been too small for me, and I’d put on two, play it down till there was nothing woman about me. Make it simpler to go unnoticed. As a result of, oh my gosh, it was horrible — you didn’t need to be a lady in my home.”

Jerry adopted Twain, alongside along with her two sisters, when she was 4 years previous. He and Twain’s mom, Sharon, had been killed in a automobile accident in 1987.

Although Twain had initially discovered solace in music, she mentioned she at first struggled to embrace her sexuality as she started pursuing a profession as a singer-songwriter.

“I used to be ashamed of being a lady,” she mentioned. “Unexpectedly it was like, ‘Properly, what’s your downside? You already know, you’re a girl and you've got this stunning physique?’ What was so pure for different folks was so scary for me. I felt exploited, however I didn’t have a alternative now. I needed to play the glamorous singer, needed to put on my femininity extra overtly or extra freely. And work out how I’m not gonna get groped, or raped by somebody’s eyes, and really feel so degraded.”

Shania Twain is set to release "Queen of Me," her sixth studio album, in 2023.
Shania Twain is ready to launch "Queen of Me," her sixth studio album, in 2023.
Erika Goldring by way of Getty Pictures

Twain beforehand disclosed about her stepfather’s abuse in her 2011 memoir, “From This Second On.” And on “60 Minutes Australia” in 2017, she recalled occasions when she needed to step between her dad and mom to defend her mom.

“I might get bodily concerned, generally, with my dad and mom’ fights, as a result of I simply thought that he would kill [my mom],” she mentioned. “One in every of these occasions, he’s going to kill her.”

As 2022 attracts to a detailed, Twain is on the cusp of knowledgeable resurgence. In September, she unveiled “Waking Up Dreaming,” her first new single in 5 years. She’s set to look in Disney’s live-action particular, “Magnificence and the Beast: A thirtieth Celebration,” which airs later this month on ABC.

She’s additionally set to launch her sixth studio album, “Queen of Me,” early subsequent yr earlier than embarking on a world tour.

“I’m actually enthusiastic about cheering folks up,” she advised The Solar this fall. “I had a really productive songwriting pandemic interval and as a lot as we had been remoted, it was virtually like I wished to cheer myself up, and that simply got here out within the music.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post