'RHOP' Star Wendy Osefo Refuses To Be Made The Villain

IRunThis is a weekly interview collection that highlights Black ladies and femmes who do dope shit in leisure and tradition whereas creating visibility, entry and empowerment for many who appear like them. Learn my Audie Cornish interview right here.

Wendy Osefo’s title has been on a number of tongues over the previous few weeks. That’s primarily as a result of the multihyphenate businesswoman has been on the heart of a very nasty battle on “Actual Housewives of Potomac.”

Almost midway by means of this season, castmate Mia Thornton organizes a visit to Miami for the crew. Whereas the women are at dinner, Thornton confronts Osefo about “beef” along with her buddy, former Actual Househusband Peter Thomas, over a enterprise dealing. Osefo and Thornton start to argue. Within the midst of an alternate of hurtful phrases, Thornton throws a drink at Osefo. When Osefo mentions a rumor about Thornton’s marriage, issues get uglier, and Thornton responds by hurling her purse at Osefo.

As that is occurring, a transparent line is drawn between those that help Osefo and people who help Thornton. The fallout ends in Osefo being largely ostracized by the group throughout their journey (and in a post-episode disclaimer that Johns Hopkins College, the place Osefo is a professor, has “no involvement” with the present.)

Nevertheless, viewers shortly known as out castmates Gizelle Bryant and Robyn Dixon for siding with Thornton, and Dixon individually for recording solely Osefo throughout the altercation and calling her antagonistic. Of us on social media pointed to a double customary in the best way Bryant and Dixon condoned Thornton’s acts of violence but had been vehemently in opposition to Monique Samuels preventing Candiace Dillard Bassett in Season 5.

The altercation between Thornton and Osefo occurred in Might whereas the forged was nonetheless filming the present season. Within the newest episode, Osefo apologizes to Thornton for the half she performed within the altercation days after the incident. Thornton apologized on Twitter on Nov. 23, stating that she “should do what’s finest for model [and] companions.”

Osefo mentioned she was retriggered when the episode aired however is stunned and overwhelmed by the quantity of help she’s gotten. Within the midst of speaking in regards to the incident on the present, she’s been busy selling her memoir “Tears Of My Mom,” releasing a lotion to accompany her Onyi Residence Necessities candle line and persevering with to show at Johns Hopkins.

“I’m going to rise above this,” Osefo mentioned.

As y’all have most likely peeped to date, this week’s “I Run This” is a bit completely different. Osefo takes a while out to share what it’s been like “reliving” the battle these previous few weeks and discusses her many professions and her refusal to let the world put her in a field.

"They were going to stick to whatever agenda that was, and that agenda was to make Wendy the bad guy," Wendy Osefo said of rewatching her altercation with castmate Mia Thornton and how the other women reacted to it.
"They had been going to stay to no matter agenda that was, and that agenda was to make Wendy the dangerous man," Wendy Osefo mentioned of rewatching her altercation with castmate Mia Thornton and the way the opposite ladies reacted to it.
Charles Sykes/Bravo/NBCU Picture Financial institution by way of Getty Pictures

We have now lots to debate, from the season to date, to your e book, to your profession total. However I first wish to ask, how are you?

I’m OK. All issues thought-about, I’m good.

The reality of the matter is, you guys are seeing all of this now, however this was filmed months in the past. Simply to place a time stamp on it. Once we’re in Miami, we’re celebrating Karen’s birthday in Might. So I’ve had months to type of course of, however I might be mendacity if I mentioned that watching it once more doesn’t set off completely different feelings, as a result of it completely does. However I’m OK, and I’m grateful for the love and the help, and I see it, and I recognize it, and it’s lifting me.

What have the previous two weeks been like for you?

It has been troublesome. Oftentimes, you guys see me, and I type of current this stoic presence of simply not letting issues faze me. My husband mentioned just lately, “You're the definition of ‘Verify in your robust buddy.’” As a result of whereas I put up that face, after I’m on my own, it does damage. It does break me.

And in that second, if I might be fairly candid, I began questioning myself, as a result of whenever you hear all these voices and everyone seems to be telling you that you simply did one thing, you begin pondering, wait, did I ... was it me? And so there was a time after I was simply greatly surprised and saying “Wait, what simply occurred?” As a result of all of it occurred so quick.

However now that I watch it again, I notice I’m not loopy. That's the sequence of occasions. That's the way it occurred, and these items weren’t warranted. And I feel that so as to add assault on it's then to listen to the conversations that you simply weren’t privy [to]. We're all watching it as a household, actually me and the viewers, as a result of I don’t know the whole lot that occurred, or who walked away from the desk, or who mentioned what, or who did what. And I feel that that truly makes it damage extra ... whenever you hear the extra conversations that occurred.

You felt gaslit?

I might say, in that second, I felt extra so prefer it was an agenda, a transparent one. And regardless of what they had been seeing, they had been going to stay to no matter agenda that was, and that agenda was to make Wendy the dangerous man.

In lots of conversations that I’m seeing on-line and in group chats, persons are actually praising you for not retaliating with violence. Within the second, what are you telling your self about the way you reply to a drink and a handbag being thrown at you?

I’m a lady of religion, and the rationale I say that's it takes extra restraint and pondering to not react than it does to react. Which means the knee-jerk response, the humanistic response is that if any person throws a drink at you, you’re most likely going to toss something again or do one thing. And in that second, I didn’t. And in that second, me not doing that, I can solely say, however God. The human response is to do one thing again. And if it’s not simply when the drink is thrown at you, then when it’s doubled down and the purse is used to hit you, then you definitely’re like, “OK, nicely, come on now. All bets are off. You probably did them as soon as and now we’re doing it twice.”

And so part of me was pondering in my head, actually quick, and I used to be pondering a mile a minute about if this, then what would occur? What is that this? And in that episode, I glanced over and I have a look at Robyn, and after I see the look on her face and the look on Gizelle’s face, I instantly notice, “That’s what they need you to do.” And that was it for me. As a result of in that second, after I knew that, once more, there appeared to be some type of agenda, there appeared to be, “Let’s see how far we will push her, let’s see how she reacts to this, let’s see what she is going to do,” that’s after I was like, “I’m going to be a pawn in no matter you’re attempting to do, whether or not that’s to get me off the present, no matter it's you’re attempting to do. No, no, no. I’m going to rise above this.”

“I began crying as a result of when issues occur to you, you don’t suppose anybody cares. You suppose, oh, we’re all watching this present. However simply that outpouring of affection, help, phrases of affirmation, individuals telling you, 'You're sufficient.'”

The place do you suppose that agenda comes from and what do you suppose fuels it?

I can’t communicate for them. I don't know. However what I'll say this season that I feel may be very clear is that you simply begin to perceive for those who’re for them, they recognize you. For those who’re not, they’ll do something to get you off or to attempt to hurt you.

In the latest episode, you heard Robyn explicitly state, “In fact I’m not going to defend Wendy. I don’t like her.” You see. You confirmed your hand. You confirmed your hand as a result of now you’re saying that no matter your judgment is is clouded primarily based upon for those who like any person or not, not what’s proper or fallacious.

And that encapsulates the whole lot that we have to know in regards to the dynamics inside this group. It’s not whether or not one thing’s proper or fallacious. It’s who're the events in sure conditions, and primarily based on who these events are will depend upon how we react to them.

What function do you suppose colorism performs in how they reply to you particularly?

I feel that's such a nuanced factor that we don’t have the time to do it justice. And I'll go away it at that.

How supported do you're feeling proper now?

From the viewers? From my household? Youngster, they bought my mama activated. I don’t suppose I’ve shared this with anybody. I used to be actually taking a look at my messages the opposite day as a result of I lastly bought an opportunity to only come up for air. And I began crying. I began crying as a result of when issues occur to you, you don’t suppose anybody cares. You don’t suppose anybody cares. You suppose, oh, we’re all watching this present. However simply that outpouring of affection, help, phrases of affirmation, individuals telling you, “You're sufficient.”

I feel typically individuals see you and so they might imagine, “Oh, she don’t want that. She’s on TV.” However whenever you see what seems like a complete group simply wrap their arms round you and say, “We stand with you. We love you. We bought you.” I imply, I used to be there boohooing like a child. I had individuals sharing tales with me about, “This jogs my memory of after I was at an all-girls faculty and so they did X, Y, and Z.” I imply, persons are popping out with private testimonies about simply how they may relate to the story, simply telling you, “This too shall cross, and we see you.” Let me let you know one thing. The best factor you can inform to any person is, “I see you.”

I don’t imply to make this greater than what it's or harp on it, however after I say, “I like y’all,” I imply that. I'll always remember this second as a result of ... I assumed, primarily based on how this has performed, [audiences] had been going to attempt to justify [Thornton’s] actions. So to get up and to see individuals like, “No. We march at daybreak.” To get up and see individuals like that over little me, man, I can’t even... My coronary heart is so full and I’m simply so grateful.

Do you're feeling supported particularly by the community?

Yeah. They didn’t inform her to throw the drink. That’s not their directive. They’re right here following a bunch of girls in a friendship circle and seeing all dynamics. And so in that method, I really feel like there’s nothing essentially that they need to have finished or may have finished. However let’s see the aftermath. Let’s see what occurs.

What would you like the result to be from this? Would you like an apology? What does closing this chapter appear like for Wendy?

It’s going to take a while. [On the most recent episode], I apologized for my actions. If I had any function on this, I take accountability. In that second, Mia didn't. And that’s all I have to know. When it was contemporary, once we had been all on the desk, when we have now all had days to type of breathe, she who bodily assaulted me didn't take any accountability and didn't apologize.

So for me, I've moved ahead. I've been in a position to say, if somebody reveals you who they're, imagine them. And so something that comes after that second, I don’t want it, nor do I would like it, as a result of even her most up-to-date “assertion,” that’s due to the general public backlash. You’re apologizing as a result of now the general public is frying you, not since you actually really feel that method. So so far as what I wish to come from it, I’m OK. I've taken accountability for something I mentioned. And he or she has to now cope with no matter she has to cope with. However I’m good. I’m moved on.

I wish to discuss your e book, too, “Tears Of My Mom.” What fueled you to jot down this e book and what's the message that you simply wish to ship about your journey because it pertains to being a first-generation Nigerian American? What would you like individuals to remove from who you might be and the legacy that your mom has left and that you're leaving due to that?

The most important factor that fueled me to jot down this e book is I turned a mom myself. And when you grow to be a mom, you begin asking your self questions on the way you’re going to lift your youngsters and what from your individual childhood made an affect, both optimistic or adverse. I used to be raised by a single mom who got here to this nation with nothing. I’ve seen her work her method up. I’ve seen her battle. And so her struggles have mainly been a footprint for which myself and my sister have tried to make her proud.

And in order persons are studying the e book, what I would like them to remove from that is that regardless of the place you come from or who you come from, you, too, can obtain your individual goals. The story of possibly being the one in your loved ones who “made it,” and the way that places undue strain on you, and the way individuals count on a lot of you, and I simply suppose the story of generational trauma, and the way we could not know that we’re carrying it, however there comes a time in everybody’s life that we have now to step again and take pause and say, “Simply because this occurred to me in my life and my childhood and it damage me this manner doesn't give me the correct to now inflict that on the following technology.”

So I feel the e book is multilayered, however I do suppose it’s simply relatable to not solely higher perceive me however to additionally begin conversations that I feel are actually essential within the Black group about moms and their daughters. As a result of fairly frankly, what our mothers count on from their daughters isn't the identical degree that our mothers count on from their sons. So with that being mentioned, it begs the query of how, oftentimes, Black moms elevate their daughters and love their sons. And whenever you try this, it's important to perceive that there’s going to be some scars left. And so how will we now begin to deal with these scars?

One factor that nobody can say about you is that you simply’re not a boss, since you actually have so many roles. You’re a professor at Johns Hopkins, a political analyst, an writer, a actuality star. Do you face any battle with any of your roles, particularly since you are so front-facing?

Ooh, nice query. And the trustworthy [answer] is sure. They battle with one another as a result of our society has made it such you could solely be one factor. And when persons are multihyphenates or they've a number of layers, individuals begin to say, “Oh, that individual have to be confused.” We don’t have fun duality. We query it. If I used to be, let’s say, an unique dancer at evening and a health care provider within the morning, individuals will say, “That doesn’t make any sense.” Why doesn’t it make any sense? As a result of society has educated us to suppose like that.

“I simply wish to be Wendy, however society’s not prepared for Wendy. They’re not prepared for girls who can do a number of issues and be in a tutorial setting and quote one thing from Lil Child.”

I keep in mind the season I got here out with my candles, all people was like, “I assumed you had been a professor.” Sure, I'm, and I could make candles. I can do two issues at one time. I may stroll and chew gum on the identical time. And I feel society has to return to grips with the truth that individuals, particularly ladies, can put on a number of hats on the identical time.

You by no means ask, can a person have all of it? It’s solely in the case of a lady. And what that's telling us, once we say issues like that, is that that’s a rarity. It’s not a rarity. We will do a number of issues. And I used to be simply speaking to my colleague at my college yesterday, and I used to be saying how W.E.B. Du Bois talks about in his e book, this notion of double consciousness, however he talks about it within the sense of being Black in white areas and the way we type of need to pivot. And I feel for me, I've a way of double and even triple or quadruple consciousness as a result of after I’m in sure areas, I've to pivot as a result of there’s sure issues that they count on from me and sure issues they don’t count on from me.

So after I’m in academia, I've to orate or command myself another way as a result of that’s the house I’m in. And it sucks. I hate it. I simply wish to be Wendy, however society’s not prepared for Wendy. They’re not prepared for girls who can do a number of issues and be in a tutorial setting and quote one thing from Lil Child. They’re not prepared for that. They’re not prepared for me to say, sure, I’m a boss, I like Michelle Obama however I additionally love Jayda Wayda as a result of I feel she’s a businesswoman. They’re not prepared for that. And I feel that’s not a Wendy problem, that’s a society problem.

How are you taking good care of your psychological well being, particularly being a public determine? What does that appear like?

I’m engaged on it. I don’t wish to misinform y’all and say, “Oh, I do that, I try this.” I don’t. I’m engaged on it. Social media is unquestionably restricted, and I began to work out, eat wholesome and simply have occasions the place it’s simply Wendy time. And I feel that’s actually essential, simply to heart your self mentally and to just remember to’re OK as a result of you may’t pour from an empty cup.

I’m questioning what the standing of the restaurant that you simply hope to open is. Is that also on the desk? Has that been placed on pause?

Y’all bought to remain tuned and see what’s what.

And I’ll simply say this: There are numerous individuals who I can go into restaurateur-ship with. It doesn’t simply need to be a person from Miami.

What's the aim particularly with that? What do you hope to attain, whether or not or not it's representation-wise or to raise your individual? What would you like for Wendy on this franchise?

I say it in my e book. I discuss how rising up, I by no means noticed ladies who regarded like me on TV. And I simply suppose that it’s simply such a magical alternative to have the ability to signify one thing that you simply by no means noticed rising up. And that alone is one thing that I’m pleased with and I hope to proceed to do myself, and my extremely melanated, chocolate household on TV. And I simply hope that reveals people who we do exist, and ladies like me do exist.

Past the present and all the hats that you simply put on as your self, as Wendy, how do you wish to be remembered?

I wish to be remembered as somebody who got here on this platform and was in a position not simply to indicate a unique kind of Black girl, however to additionally present that they’re unapologetic about themselves. And that oftentimes, individuals attempt to make it seem to be I’m a rarity. I’m not. There’s numerous Black ladies like me. They only don’t have a platform. And so I feel that there’s energy in our present. There’s energy in what the community reveals you guys, and I simply wish to be remembered as a lady who was authentically her, no matter what anybody mentioned.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post