How 'The Woman King' Costume Designer Creates New Worlds Through Clothing

Gersha Phillips designed the costumes for the movie "The Woman King."
Gersha Phillips designed the costumes for the film "The Lady King."
Illustration: Damon Dahlen/HuffPost; Images: Sony Photos/Getty

The glitz and glamour of leisure is nothing with out the individuals who costume in the present day’s greatest stars. For “Who’s Behind the Garments,” HuffPost spotlights stylists and costume designers who've delivered a few of our favourite celebrities’ or characters’ most memorable seems. Learn my interview with editorial stylist Alexander-Julian Gibbson.

Gersha Phillips’ 17-year journey in costume design reached new heights just a few years in the past, the second she obtained a cellphone name from director Gina Prince-Bythewood. After rounds of interviews, she landed the function of lead costume designer on “The Lady King.” However earlier than that second, and earlier than she outfitted characters on “Star Trek: Discovery,” Phillips was a teen from Saskatchewan, Canada, who wished to turn into a clothier.

Born in London and now primarily based in Toronto, Phillips grew up in a Trini-Nigerian family. Whereas her mom was a nurse by day, she was additionally a grasp seamstress, fashioning a crochet jumpsuit for her daughter. In her free time, Phillips flipped by means of magazines, fawning over designs from Karl Lagerfeld, Jean Paul Gaultier, and John Galliano, and made garments for her brother’s dance troupe. She by no means missed an episode of Canadian vogue editor and TV persona Jeanne Beker’s present.

“She would speak to the style designers and they might speak about their exhibits and the place they had been getting their inspiration for his or her exhibits from and what tales they had been making an attempt to inform,” Phillips mentioned. “It’s the identical concept of telling a narrative by means of clothes. These designers all had been very inventive and drew from so many alternative worlds and issues it was simply superb to hear in, and kind of simply get a bit of glimpse into that.”

A self-proclaimed “movie buff,” Phillips initially sought to pursue design faculty in Toronto, however a movie class about directing modified her trajectory. She attributes her “lightbulb second” to the 1988 movie “Seashores,” which materialized her ardour for costume design and jump-started her profession in 1995. Phillips, 60, has costume-designed for movies and tv collection, reminiscent of “Home of Playing cards,” “My Huge Fats Greek Marriage ceremony 2,” “Star Trek: Discovery” and extra. Now, she’s embarking on her subsequent problem: designing for “Captain America: New World Order.”

“For me personally,” she mentioned, “I do like issues the place I get to world-build. ‘Discovery’ was a whole world-build; you’re constructing every thing from scratch and making an attempt to create no matter you suppose the long run can be. For ‘The Lady King,’ it’s related the place I’m designing and creating a brand new world from the previous.”

For “Who’s Behind the Garments,” Phillips talked to HuffPost about costume-designing on “The Lady King,” the aim garments serve in world-building and storytelling, and extra.

Raised by her Trinidadian mother and Nigerian father in Saskatchewan, Toronto-based costume designer Gersha Phillips is behind the clothes in "The Woman King."
Raised by her Trinidadian mom and Nigerian father in Saskatchewan, Toronto-based costume designer Gersha Phillips is behind the garments in "The Lady King."
Marc Lostracco

Inform me about your journey to “The Lady King.” What drew you to the venture, and what does it imply to you?

My agent referred to as me and instructed me about it, and I used to be like, “What? That is taking place?!” I used to be simply beside myself. It was a no brainer, clearly, once I was requested to interview, so I put collectively a presentation. I’ve all the time been excessive or tried to do greater than is critical for all these issues; so after all, on this case, I did much more than I'd usually do. I already began doing a bit of little bit of analysis, I had some illustrations achieved for it, and put all of it collectively and obtained prepared for this interview. I bear in mind telling Gina [Prince-Bythewood] and [producer] Cathay [Schulman] how honored I used to be to be thought of and to have the chance to interview. I felt that my entire profession had been build up thus far. We had, I feel in complete, three conferences earlier than they mentioned that they wished me to satisfy with the studio. Then I had a gathering with the studio the place I didn’t notice I used to be going to be assembly with 10 individuals. I had a gathering with the execs and everyone. I assume that went nicely, as a result of then I obtained a name from Gina saying that she was providing me the job after that. I nonetheless pinch myself that I used to be fortunate sufficient to get that supply and that they selected me. I feel that Teri Shropshire and Kasi Lemmons had quite a bit to do with that.

It was such an unimaginable expertise. I’m happy with the work that we did on my staff, the crew at giant, and it was a momentous journey. For me, you recognize, it was an immense studying curve. It was not my first time working in a foreign country, but it surely was my first time working in Africa. I did a film in Trinidad, which was a lot smaller and fewer constructing work, however simply doing it in locations the place the trade is extra in a growth stage than it's in North America was positively a problem and a studying curve. Maintaining your crew and motivated to maintain going once they’re constructing the identical factor over and over, they usually don’t perceive why. I feel for me I’m trying ahead to taking over larger and extra attention-grabbing initiatives and I'd like to do extra work on this diaspora. Whereas the analysis was tough, I really feel like if I needed to do it once more, I'd look into completely different locations and have higher concepts of the place to go.

Viola Davis (left) as Nanisca and director Gina Prince-Bythewood on the set of "The Woman King."
Viola Davis (left) as Nanisca and director Gina Prince-Bythewood on the set of "The Lady King."
Ilze KitshoffIlze Kitshoff

What did the analysis course of for this movie entail, particularly engaged on a chunk that alludes to a lot historical past? I observed numerous particulars within the costuming, from incorporating cowrie shells and tribal markings to the variations in garment colour between members of the Agojie and Oyo tribes.

I feel for analysis, it by no means stops. You’re simply all the time doing it while you do this kind of movie. The analysis for this was tough, as a result of most of it's instructed from a white male standpoint. It's important to kind of sift by means of that narrative to seek out what you need to discover. It’s destructive, and it’s derogatory, so it turns into exhausting. I bear in mind slogging by means of it and never desirous to learn anymore, as a result of I used to be similar to, “Oh, my God. I can’t take studying these essays by these males.” In order that was a journey in itself.

The script described this cowrie shell breastplate. When I discovered the photographs of the cowrie shell breastplates and the photographs of the Agojie in that look, I used to be like, “Oh, that is it. And that is what I assumed it was.” As I began to learn, I by no means discovered that description of that specific uniform. I additionally began to take a look at it and go, “Nicely, should you had been preventing, how would you struggle in that? That may be very exhausting to struggle in.” They described a bit of bit concerning the preventing and the way they fought, and many others., in a few of these essays. I began to query it. I discussed it to Gina and mentioned, “Look, I can’t discover something about this in any of the writing I've. I've this look, this look, and this look. These are the opposite concepts I discovered, however I can’t discover this explicit factor.”

It wasn’t until we discovered this historian — and it took a few month earlier than we may really speak to him — and he was the one who mentioned no, the cowrie shell look was a redress by Europeans for the World’s Commerce Honest. That took a very long time for us to decipher for positive that that was one thing we weren’t going to do. It was kind of choosing issues that we’ve seen that had been actual, just like the banding of the breasts was actual, so that may turn into a part of the uniform. The cross straps that they wore regarded like that’s what they used to carry weapons with, in order that’s the place the halter kind of comes from. The lengthy trousers that they wore had been clearly a bit of longer as a result of they had been males’s trousers, they usually originated from the Hausa tribe.

I all the time wished to have some indigo within the uniform. Indigo and block printing could be very synonymous with West Africa, so I assumed that was essential to include into the look. It was a print that I had present in London at this girl’s retailer referred to as the African cloth retailer in North London. However she had pulled it from Gambia; I obtained in contact together with her, she obtained in contact with the one who made the material in Gambia, and he ended up making a skirt cloth for us. We’ve obtained nice pictures of him doing the block print, some with the wax resist, then doing the indigo dye and every thing. It’s made historically the way it in all probability would have been made on the time.

Davis (left) and John Boyega star in "The Woman King."
Davis (left) and John Boyega star in "The Lady King."
Ilze KitshoffIlze Kitshoff

You famous that you simply needed to parse by means of a white male perspective whereas in analysis. Do you recall the books you had been studying?

“Amazons of Black Sparta” was one, and I had it in a number of completely different variations. That one had the illustration of the Agojie on it, in order that was the place the unique silhouette of the palace tunic comes from. Two of the opposite books are books which are on-line solely, and it’s one I obtained from the manufacturing designer. However the e book that I feel was my favourite e book to learn was this e book referred to as “Pictures Dahomey,” and it was a pictures essay by a French photographer. He went to West Africa in 1906, I imagine it's, and took all these superb photos. That’s what I take advantage of predominantly as my inspiration, particularly for the village, doing the courtroom and dressing once we did the palace scenes. There have been just a few superb pictures of the ladies dressed, and even males, and the way they might layer the materials. That’s kind of the place [we got inspiration for] the drapes that Nanisca and Amenza put on over their uniforms, and the way we elevated these palace tunics for these particular days, such because the check day and the tribute day.

What do you suppose is the duty of a dressing up designer engaged on a venture reminiscent of this to deconstruct these colonial tropes about how these tribes dressed — but additionally being cognizant of probably aestheticizing the African continent?

The factor about West Africa, for me, is that it was one group of individuals at one cut-off date, after which they break up off into these completely different teams. So, I do really feel like there’s numerous sharing and similarities between them. I really feel as a dressing up designer, I’m coping with a narrative and I’m telling a narrative. I’m not doing actual life, I’m not doing a documentary. If I used to be, I'd be doing a really completely different job. I did method it just like the documentary from the start, however was instructed to not. The story is what’s written on the web page, however [we] additionally service a director’s imaginative and prescient, a producer’s imaginative and prescient, and so forth, then collaborate with the actors once they are available in they usually carry their ideas to the desk. I've to take all of these issues and make them into one thing that we will placed on the display.

You don’t all the time honor what you suppose is correct as a dressing up designer; you find yourself straddling numerous completely different individuals’s visions and concepts. We’re employed to serve an agenda and a imaginative and prescient of different individuals’s. Additionally, it’s what’s out there to you on the time. I’m in South Africa, which really doesn't have numerous assets for this kind of movie. I assumed it will, however Ghana ended up having the most effective issues; we had been going to be capturing in Ghana, so it was a neater segue for us to seek out one thing. We discovered someone in Ghana, who helped us immensely with discovering materials. She was the one who discovered the weavers that wove our tunics, and many others. I really feel that whereas it is probably not traditionally correct, it's a depiction of a fictionalized concept primarily based on a real story.

"I always wanted to have some indigo in the uniform. Indigo and block printing is very synonymous with West Africa, so I thought that was very important to incorporate into the look," Phillips said.
"I all the time wished to have some indigo within the uniform. Indigo and block printing could be very synonymous with West Africa, so I assumed that was essential to include into the look," Phillips mentioned.
Ilze KitshoffIlze Kitshoff

Are you able to inform me about how the costumes convey the film’s themes: maternity, sisterhood, struggle and resistance? In the course of the blood ceremony, we see the Dahomey warriors adorned in white. Earlier than they go into battle, they’re carrying the maroon halter tops. On the finish, we see this stunning show of womanhood, with Nanisca and Nawi carrying vibrant, vibrant colours.

We wished every part of their lives to have an actual kind of definitive concept behind it or story behind it. The battle gear is for battle; once they’re preventing in it, it seems actual, and it really works when it comes to their freedom of motion. We additionally added completely different talismans; they carried their talismans in these little pouches. We additionally added completely different adornments and etchings to their belts. The actors had been in a position to are available in and choose completely different symbols that we use, which had been primarily based on the Dahomey, however we additionally did take a look at stuff from the West African space usually. Individuals had been in a position to choose completely different symbols for themselves when it comes to with the ability to put that onto their costumes, so it personalised it a bit of for every actor.

The opposite issues that had been essential are cowrie shells; not solely are they a forex, however in addition they are used for defense. We tried to infuse that into numerous their battle costumes and of their palace uniforms as nicely. The palace uniforms had been worn as a way of satisfaction and within the metropolis as nicely. We had the decrease rank after which the upper rank that had the gold stripes in it simply to point out the elevation of it. By way of including gildings to point out completely different rankings of the Agojie, for example, Nanisca has the pink with the gold; then, as a result of Amenza’s the non secular chief, she has the white on hers.

Is there a selected look from the film that stands out to or actually resonated with you?

I do actually love Viola’s tribute look, with the crossbelt of the cowrie shells, then the swag on it with the pink and the gold after which the opposite layer beneath. It’s a difficult factor to place collectively while you’re mixing patterns like that, so balancing that was a bit of little bit of an effort. I actually preferred the way in which that she regarded in it in that scene. I feel it made her look highly effective, though she was a bit of compromised when she noticed Oba; she withers in it a bit of bit. However I do really feel that it’s a extremely good depiction of her energy. Additionally, I feel her battle uniform might be one in all my favorites as nicely. I actually suppose that one has a extremely robust really feel for her as a warrior and as a normal.

(Front row, from left) Lashana Lynch, Davis, Shelia Atim, (second row, from left) Sisipho Mbopa, Lone Motsomi and Chioma Umeala in "The Woman King."
(Entrance row, from left) Lashana Lynch, Davis, Shelia Atim, (second row, from left) Sisipho Mbopa, Lone Motsomi and Chioma Umeala in "The Lady King."
Ilze KitshoffIlze Kitshoff

Who instilled your love for clothes?

[My mom] had a love of garments and so did my grandmother. I bear in mind once I was youthful, getting items from my grandmother. I'd get these outfits and items of clothes, they usually had been fantastically made. My mother really made me a crochet jumpsuit, which was a kind of issues that’s fairly phenomenal. I really feel like though my mother wasn’t a inventive, if she had an opportunity to decide on her personal profession, she could be. I do really feel like I obtained numerous my beginnings, numerous my love for the craft and a love of gorgeous issues from her. She collected issues; she had lace that I really used to make Barbie beds and early Barbie garments. She was all the time stitching, making issues and so forth, for us. After I was sufficiently old, I began augmenting issues. I wished my stuff to look extra like what was within the teen magazines, like Seventeen, at the moment.

[My teen years] had been actually tough — with the ability to discover something that I actually preferred and have it match my physique the way in which I wished it — as a result of I used to be already fairly curvy. In my teenagers, I used to be all the time making issues for myself, then individuals obtained enthusiastic about it. I began making break-dance costumes for my brother’s pals and my boyfriend’s pals; they'd a troupe. From there, I made dishevelled pants for them — kind of that hip-hop, city look that everyone wished — that you simply couldn’t stand up there both. That’s how I obtained identified.

In addition to my mother, I really feel like I used to be additionally closely influenced by vogue designers. I bear in mind coming to Toronto and going to The Bay, which was one in all our fundamental shops, and seeing Karl Lagerfeld clothes in particular person. I feel that we had Thierry Mugler there and issues like that. It was simply actually superb to see these items of clothes, the development of them and every thing. To this present day, one of many issues I like doing goes to any main metropolis and seeing no matter I can get an opportunity to take a look at.

What was the movie that ignited the spark for you?

After I give it some thought, it didn’t have something to do with costume design, as a result of it was “Seashores,” the 1988 movie. Typically, they put the designer on the finish credit score, however on this explicit movie, it’s originally. I don’t even bear in mind the identify of the costume designer, to be sincere, however I simply bear in mind seeing that and simply going like, “Oh, that’s what I need to do.” For some motive, I understood at that second what it was. Whereas earlier than that, I really feel like I didn’t actually know what costume-design was or perceive what it will be in relation to movie, though once I was at school, I had an elective and did theater and labored within the costume division in theater on a manufacturing. I don’t bear in mind ever considering, “Oh, that is what I need to do,” or the way it pertains to movie or something. I additionally was fairly a movie buff on the time, too. It was actually attention-grabbing that I hadn’t put it collectively. I simply say it’s like that lightbulb second, like what Oprah talks about.

Through costume, Phillips sought to portray definitive sections of characters' lives in "The Woman King."
By costume, Phillips sought to painting definitive sections of characters' lives in "The Lady King."
Ilze KitshoffIlze Kitshoff

Now, you simply began engaged on “Captain America: New World Order,” and beforehand, designed for “Star Trek: Discovery.” What was the pivot like engaged on “The Lady King”?

For me as a dressing up designer, it’s no matter pops up for me. It was an enormous pivot for me from “Discovery” as a result of we had been doing futuristic, the thirty first century, then going again in time to 1823. For me personally, I do like issues the place I get to world-build. “Discovery” was a whole world-build; you’re constructing every thing from scratch and making an attempt to create no matter you suppose the long run can be. For “The Lady King,” it’s related the place I’m designing and creating a brand new world from the previous. That basically excites me. I really feel like the largest factor I like is happening the journey. Now with Marvel, I simply printed out a listing of the chronological order that the movies go in and perceive every thing, as a result of there’s little issues within the script that speak about one thing that occurred in one other storyline. As for the characters that you simply’re working with, a few of them have already been established, so that you need to understand how they’d been established and what they appear to be, so it’s not jarring to the followers. Finally, it’s all the time about telling tales, which is the most effective a part of what we get to do. I just like the change-up; it retains your mind and invigorated.

You introduced up the time period “world-building.” How do you suppose costume design serves as a automobile in “world-building”? How would you outline it, and what does that imply to you?

Such an enormous query. To me, world-building and costume design, it’s like telling the story by means of clothes. It provides you this chance to point out individuals various things. I don’t suppose everyone actually registers what they’re once they’re a movie or an image, but it surely conveys one thing that they perceive. They’re in a position to perceive it by what they’re . To me, ideally, I all the time considered my clothes as one thing that was the backstory. The clothes actually helps to place you in the place you might be and tells you what’s occurring. You requested about that earlier than when it comes to what every clothes means to every scene and the way it works. All these items add to that. And I feel that’s what storytelling by means of costumes is about. It’s like giving info and setting a scene and telling a narrative when it comes to a clothes perspective.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post