Expat agony: Ten embarrassing language mix-ups to watch out for 

Ever by accident requested about condoms as an alternative of preservatives? Or instructed a cashier to ‘go to mattress’?

For non-native language audio system, embarrassing miscommunications are as widespread as verb conjugations.

However in the event you’ve discovered your self in certainly one of these awkward conditions don’t fear - you’re not alone. In accordance with language studying supplier Rosetta Stone, only one quarter of expats are fluent. 

Studying a language has many advantages, from cultural immersion to brain-training. Euronews has places of work all through Europe, and a few of us are polylingual. However whether or not you’re an skilled expatriate or a confused vacationer, there’s all the time room for a bit (or loads) of mistranslation

So in the event you’re cringing after inadvertently telling a colleague you like them, or insulting a bunch’s cooking, learn on. 

Listed below are a number of the Euronews workforce’s most humiliating language fails.

10. While you proposition a waitress

“As soon as on a faculty journey to Russia, my trainer instructed the waitress 'he had completed,’ not figuring out that the fashionable utilization of the phrase had taken on a sexual context. To provide it a extra generic which means, you now want so as to add the prefix 'za'. Secure to say the waitress doubled over with laughter.” - Hannah

“I’m a non-native Spanish speaker. I as soon as requested for a 'mojito de pechos' (a breast mojito) once I meant peach mojito.” - James

9. While you inform the cashier to go to mattress

“After shifting to France, I shopped at my native grocery store loads and infrequently went to the identical cashier. She was very nice, and I might cheerfully say ‘bonne nuit' to her within the night. Finally, she pulled me apart and instructed me that you just solely actually say ‘bonne nuit’ if somebody goes to mattress. The right time period is ‘bonne soirée’ (good night).” - Ian

8. Getting a bit too excited

English audio system fairly often say 'je suis excité.’ They assume it means 'I'm excited', but it surely truly means 'I'm attractive'!” - Héloïse

7. Ache within the a***

“Most native English audio system in France will sooner or later combine up 'cul' (backside, or a**e) and 'cou' (neck) - the sound distinction is difficult at first. It may end up in some very awkward conversations, like telling your in legal guidelines "J'ai très mal au cul aujourd'hui" (I've a really painful a*** at this time).” - Charlotte

“Talking French in Quebec, I mispronounced 'queue' (queue) as 'cul' (arse) when explaining I used to be ready in line exterior” - James

6. Marital mix-ups

“In Spain, somebody requested me how I used to be. I stated I used to be 'muy casado' (very married) as an alternative of 'muy cansado' (very drained).” - James

canva
Are these the identical factor? When you combine up your Spanish phrases, they are oftencanva

5. Contraceptive confusion

“At college, our French trainer all the time warned us of the false pal 'preservatif' (condom). He found this when he was having a dialog about bread. He wished to say that there are extra preservatives in British bread, which is why it isn't nearly as good. He took a guess on the phrase and it did not prove effectively” - Hannah

“In Spain, a male pal fell for the traditional 'estoy embarazado' (I am pregnant) false pal when which means to say he was embarrassed (which clearly then elevated his embarrassment).” - James

4. Only a kiss?

“In Hungarian we are saying puszi (pronounced like pussy) for kisses, which makes each English particular person I do know chortle.” - Rita

3. Asking a bit an excessive amount of in a brand new rental

“After I moved to a brand new flat I by accident stated that I wish to have a "crématoire" (crematorium) as an alternative of crémaillère (housewarming get together)” - Rita

2. Getting kicked out of a cathedral

“Exterior of a cathedral in France, I by accident referred to the 'Verge Marie' (Penis Mary) as an alternative of the 'Vierge Marie' (Virgin Mary).” - James

1. Fascinating technique

“The verbs 'to jot down' and 'to piss' are the identical in Russian, the stress is simply in a distinct place. My trainer took nice delight once I by accident instructed him I used to be pissing reasonably than writing my homework.” - Hannah

When you've made a humiliating language mistake, we need to hear about it - if solely to make ourselves really feel higher. Tweet us @euronewstravel or discover us on Instagram @euronewstravel.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post