Chelsea Handler On Ending Relationship With Jo Koy: 'I Have To Choose Myself'

Chelsea Handler says she’s been on an “emotional rollercoaster” since ending her relationship with fellow comic Jo Koy after lower than a 12 months.

Handler candidly spoke about when and why issues began not working between the 2, and the way that led to their break up, which she says occurred a couple of month in the past.

“My love was so massive that it simply blew me open,” Handler stated, sounding like she was on the verge of tears, throughout an look on the podcast “We Can Do Onerous Issues with Glennon Doyle” on Thursday.

The previous late night time host made it sound like she was the one who ended issues with Koy after experiencing points for “a while.”

“We’ve been coping with this behind the scenes for some time,” Handler stated, including that the 2 had been beforehand attempting to work issues out in remedy.

“I believe that when you've got the grounding and the braveness to say that, you recognize, one thing isn’t working, you’re saying much more than that to the entire world,” she stated, nonetheless clearly emotional. “And also you’re inviting in issues which can be going to be workable, and extra suited to your wants and what you’re accessible for.”

Handler and Koy attend the 64th annual Grammy awards on April 3 in Las Vegas.
Handler and Koy attend the sixty fourth annual Grammy awards on April 3 in Las Vegas.
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin by way of Getty Photographs

Doyle requested Handler when it was the time to “cease digging” in a relationship, and he or she supplied a really trustworthy reply.

“I believe when it turns into untenable. And it turns into unhealthy,” Handler stated. “When you’re arguing, you recognize, it’s devolving. When you can’t have conversations which can be calm and loving, and fixed, and also you’re not a group ― not feeling like a group ― then it turns into untenable.”

“I wasn’t going to desert myself,” the comic added. “And if I've to decide on one particular person, I've to decide on myself.”

“It’s good to bend for individuals, it’s good to discover ways to compromise. It’s good to discover ways to exhibit my love publicly. That’s one thing I used to be by no means in a position to do for anyone, however I consider Jo wanted that,” Handler defined. “I used to be so impressed by us ... however Jo didn’t crack me open. My psychiatrist cracked me open, after which I used to be open.”

“After which I used to be in a position to bend for someone and transfer and compromise, and make them the most important a part of my life, however you may’t change someone intrinsically,” she stated. “And, I used to be prepared to take action a lot bending, however there’s a line. And I’m very pleased with myself that I didn’t let myself cross that line.”

The comedians attend the 2021 People's Choice Awards on Dec. 7, 2021, in Santa Monica, California.
The comedians attend the 2021 Individuals's Alternative Awards on Dec. 7, 2021, in Santa Monica, California.
Christopher Polk/E! Leisure by way of Getty Photographs

Handler stated that she’s doing “okay” and feels “optimistic concerning the future now.”

“I nonetheless consider that my particular person is coming. Whether or not that's Jo Koy at a sure time or if it’s not, like, I settle for that,” Handler stated.

Handler and Koy publicly introduced that they had been ending their relationship on Tuesday, and likewise posted a video they’d made in anticipation of their upcoming one-year anniversary.

“It's with a heavy coronary heart to announce that now we have determined collectively that it's best for us to take a break from our relationship proper now,” Handler stated on the time, calling her ex “one of many biggest items of my life.”

Koy, in a breakup submit of his personal, stated he was Handler’s “greatest fan” and promised the 2 “will all the time stay nice pals and can all the time have love for each other.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post