This 81-year-old man has climbed more than 200 Scottish mountains for his sick wife

Nick Gardner dusted off his childhood dream and discovered to climb on the age of 80 - all for a really particular purpose.

After 30 years of marriage, his spouse was identified with Alzheimer's in 2018. Gardner was devastated.

"When it bought an excessive amount of for me to deal with, when she went into hospital and care...I simply did not know what to do,” he explains. “We have been used to one another's firm 24/7 for 30 years. After which immediately it is gone," he mentioned.

It was then that Gardner determined he wanted a problem to assist him cope.

widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
I want my hat and gloves on, and my windproof jacket, nevertheless it's completely magnificent.

The duty he set himself can be tough for many individuals even half his age. Within the area of 1,200 days, he wished to climb all 282 of Scotland's 'Munros', or mountains taller than 900 metres. Now on day 636, he's midway via having simply accomplished his 220th climb. In honour of his spouse Janet, Gardner is elevating cash for the charities Alzheimer Scotland and the Royal Osteoporosis Society.

Studying about social media as he goes, he has been recording his progress on Fb and Instagram. To date he has raised £37,000 (€ 44,000) of his £50,000 (€ 59,500) goal and most of the messages on his fundraising webpage.are from individuals he has met on the mountainside.

widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
The duty he set himself would problem many half his age - to climb all 282 of Scotland's 'Munros'.

"I believe [it was] the third mountain I climbed the place I simply occurred to be chatting to different climbers and I simply occurred to say what I used to be doing for this problem. They usually could not imagine it.," he says. “They have been amazed.”

"Clearly, I assumed, I've bought one thing right here. I actually have. And I did not realise the potential. And so ever since then, once I see individuals on the hill, I cease them and have slightly dialog with them, inform them what I am doing."

Watch the video above and listen to what Nick has to say about his problem.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post