Meet the extraordinary Ukrainian travel photographer showing new perspectives of famous destinations

This Ukrainian-born photographer has travelled the world, bringing again contemporary views to famend locations.

At the moment dwelling in Switzerland, Julia Wimmerlin has spent the final 10 years on the transfer, photographing locations, folks and wildlife across the globe.

With a background in advertising, her journey and panorama pictures is closely influenced by up to date artwork and vogue.

We requested Julia about her experiences as a journey photographer.

How did you begin out in pictures and start to share your work on social media?

I solely held my first digicam after I was 34 years previous, till then my skilled life was all about advertising.

My husband was despatched on a job project to Japan and that completely completely different world required being recorded. I noticed magnificence in the whole lot, I bear in mind taking images of gorgeous trash in Japan.

Julia Wimmerlin
Wimmerlin's images of Japanese snow monkeys went viral.Julia Wimmerlin

We then moved to the Philippines the place I may now not have my advertising observe, so I had time to focus on pictures.

widget--size-fullwidth
widget--align-center">
After one in all my Japanese snow monkeys’ images grew to become viral I began noticing the rise in my internet presence.

After one in all my Japanese snow monkeys’ images grew to become viral I began noticing the rise in my internet presence.

What challenges have you ever confronted when having access to folks or locations?

I assume it all the time depends upon the place you go and what you wish to shoot. You possibly can’t simply arrive in Bagan, Myanmar and go to a monastery hoping to get in and spend a day there whereas the scholars eat, pray and research.

Neither are you able to arrive in Borneo and hope to instantly see a wild orangutan. Aside from the publicly accessible landmarks you all the time want a fixer or a information to convey you to the locations solely locals learn about or have entry.

Julia Wimmerlin
Bagan, MyanmarJulia Wimmerlin

Do you assume your challenges are completely different, being a lady within the trade?

Sure, for certain.

Even after I purchase gear the sellers assume it’s for my husband. “The photographer should be a man” - it's worthwhile to struggle this stereotype to be taken severely.

Typically it’s security that turns into a problem, in sure locations a feminine journey photographer is far much less protected than a person.

Julia Wimmerlin
Journey picturesJulia Wimmerlin

What's the most memorable photograph you’ve ever taken?

Photographing cheetahs in Namibia was actually unforgettable. These had been hand-reared orphaned cheetahs who grew to become accustomed to folks however who however stayed wild and hunted themselves.

With a purpose to appeal to their consideration, I used a stick to a skinny rope tied to it, and on the finish, I hooked up just a few rooster feathers to make it an enormous cat toy. I nonetheless bear in mind the sensation of abruptly seeing a cheetah operating full pace in the direction of me from the bush. But it surely stopped proper in entrance of me, wanting very intrigued by my DIY toy.

Julia Wimmerlin
Journey picturesJulia Wimmerlin

What are a number of the largest challenges you face when making an attempt to get a shot?

In journey pictures most frequently, it’s logistics and climate. While you possibly can attempt to enhance the logistical facet, the one factor you are able to do with the climate is to be affected person, opportunistic and optimistic.

Julia Wimmerlin
Journey picturesJulia Wimmerlin

Do you could have any recommendation for different journey photographers?

All the time search for a private perspective of any well-known landmark. With present picture saturation, folks now not discover the photographs they’ve already seen, so do the additional work to find one other angle, perspective. Or being fortunate with the climate will certainly make you stand out way more!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post