UFC still ‘interested’ in making Nate Diaz vs Dustin Poirier but Dana White admits grudge match may not happen

THE UFC are nonetheless '' in making the eagerly-anticipated grudge match between Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz.

Poirier and Diaz started jawing at each other on social media a number of days after the previous's unsuccessful bid to dethrone light-weight champ Charles Oliveira at UFC 269.

Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz were due to face one another in 2018
Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz had been resulting from face each other in 2018Credit score: GETTY

And UFC president Dana White admits the are still interested in making the fight
And UFC president Dana White admits the are nonetheless involved in making the combatCredit score: GETTY

Talks over a short-notice January showdown did not bear fruit, however the UFC brass are nonetheless open to creating the bout.

Throughout an ESPN+ fan Q&A, president Dana White mentioned: "It is a combat that they each need and it is one which we're involved in.

"And we have simply obtained to determine [how to make it]."

As because the UFC are in reserving Diaz vs Poirier, White admits there's a risk the bout will not align with the promotion's schedule.

The veteran promoter, 52, continued: "I do not know if that is the combat by the point we're prepared.

"However like I mentioned, we have got fights made up all the way in which till Could 21 proper now. So yeah, we're ."

Fan favorite Diaz - who has one combat left on his contract - hit out on the UFC brass earlier this month, accusing them of placing him on ice.

Alongside an image of his 2018 face-off with Poirier, he tweeted: "[UFC] cease enjoying wit me, think about this my signature to combat this f***er.

"I been making an attempt to combat for a minute, stop slowing down the true combat recreation it is time."

White responded in an interview with ESPN, insisting the promotion will give Diaz a combat within the close to future.

He mentioned: "In fact, we're [in that fight]. That is what we do. We make fights each weekend.

"What occurs is guys simply need to soar out of nowhere. 'I need to do that, I need to try this.'

"Now we have fights booked all the way in which to, I need to say Could 2. Every part is in place. Every part is finished. Clearly, Nate Diaz will get a combat."

Nate Diaz is champing at the bit to see of the final fight of his UFC contract
Nate Diaz is champing on the bit to see of the ultimate combat of his UFC contractCredit score: INSTAGRAM@NATEDIAZ209

Poirier and Diaz, 33 and 36 respectively, had been resulting from combat each other three years in the past in the primary occasion of UFC 230 in New York.

However their Madison Sq. Backyard melee fell by means of when Poirier suffered a hip harm.

And The Diamond remains to be hellbent on sharing the cage with the youngest Diaz.

He advised UFC commentator Joe Rogan final 12 months: “I feel earlier than I’m accomplished preventing, I’m going to combat 170.

“I’ll go as much as 170 and combat Nate. For certain. I do due to the way in which it fell aside."

He added: "Me and him had been speculated to combat at Madison Sq. Backyard.

“I form of was the autumn man - he will get to level and say I pulled out of the combat and I did. I went to get stem cells accomplished on my hip.

Dustin Poirier is hellbent on facing Nate Diaz before he calls it a day
Dustin Poirier is hellbent on going through Nate Diaz earlier than he calls it a dayCredit score: GETTY

“However I used to be going to combat, I used to be going to undergo a camp and combat him in the event that they wouldn’t have began providing me different substitute opponents.

"Nate was enjoying video games with the UFC, UFC began providing me opponents.

"And I mentioned, ‘Look guys, if that is occurring, I’m simply going to have my hip taken care of.’ He’s a man I’ve at all times needed to combat.”

JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post