Holocaust Memorial Day – I lived among rotting bodies at Bergen-Belsen & was examined naked by Dr Mengele at Auschwitz

WHEN Susan Pollack arrived at Bergen-Belsen loss of life camp in 1945, she had already witnessed numerous murders and been subjected to bare examinations by 'angel of loss of life' Dr Josef Mengele at Auschwitz.

However nothing may put together the 14-year-old Hungarian Jew, by then a self-described "residing corpse", for the horror of residing amongst piles of rotting our bodies, with no thought if or when she would be a part of them.

Susan Pollack is a Holocaust survivor who saw unimaginable horrors at both Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen
Susan Pollack is a Holocaust survivor who noticed unimaginable horrors at each Auschwitz and Bergen-BelsenCredit score: Susan Pollack

She was just 13 when she arrived in Auschwitz - where her mother was taken straight to the gas chambers
She was simply 13 when she arrived in Auschwitz - the place her mom was taken straight to the fuel chambersCredit score: Susan Pollack

Sharing her story to mark Holocaust Memorial Day, the 91-year-old grandmother, who lives in London, tells Fabulous: "Bergen-Belsen was a spot of loss of life and indescribable struggling.

"There have been rotting our bodies throughout. There was hunger and infectious illnesses all over the place, even the individuals who have been alive have been not individuals.

"I could not stroll after my loss of life march, I needed to crawl all over the place and I recognised my former neighbour, a Jewish lady, within the subsequent barrack over from mine.

"It was the primary time I had spoken to somebody in my language for months. She requested me ‘are we going to outlive?’ and I mentioned ‘simply maintain on slightly bit’.

"However once I crawled again to see her the next day, she had died. Bergen-Belsen had lice which contaminated everybody with typhus.

"The camp's scent was diabolical, I can’t actually describe it, of corpses that have been rotting. It was filthy, it was a spot unfit for individuals to stay in. A spot of terror, concern, indescribable struggling and no assist.

"No one cared about us. We have been like fodder (meals for livestock). Sweep us up and throw us into the fuel chambers to be burnt, I suppose that is what the Nazis have been on the brink of do."

Susan believes she lived in Bergen-Belsen for 2 to 3 weeks, though she had no method to inform day or evening by then.

She provides: "It couldn’t have been longer than that, as a result of there was no meals. It isn't that I wished to die, however your very mind does not operate anymore."

Mercifully for Susan, the camp was liberated in April 1945, when she was days from loss of life.

She says: "I crawled out of my barracks, away from the scent and the filth and the crying, as I couldn’t take it anymore.

"I felt a hand choosing me up, however doing so gently, and I did not get shot, not that I might have cared.

"I used to be positioned in a small ambulance and that’s how the British liberated me. The very first thing they did was wash me, as a result of I used to be filthy. They referred to as within the native German ladies, made them wash us down and provides us some clear garments.

"I had my life again, however nowhere to go. I had no illusions of my household's survival and I knew I didn't wish to return to Hungary."

Susan's early years

Susan was born Zsuzsanna Blau in September 1930 in Felsögöd, the place she lived together with her dad and mom and brother, Laci, who was two years older than her.

She had a seemingly idyllic upbringing - a small village life together with her father promoting wooden and coal, the household elevating horses, geese and geese, and rising their very own greens.

However antisemitism was all the time a harmful undercurrent to their lives, regardless of attending blended colleges.

Susan says: "There was a gradual build-up of antisemitism through the Thirties, lengthy earlier than we have been transported. There have been no different ethnic teams in Hungary, solely us and the Gypsies.

"Sooner or later in 1938, my uncle was driving his horse and wagon when one other man, his neighbour, jumped out of the again of the wagon with an axe and chopped off his head.

"The perpetrator was sentenced to 2 years in jail however did not serve all of it. He was launched and continued residing reverse my uncle's widowed spouse."

Susan was eventually sent on a death march to Bergen-Belsen, where she lived among piles of rotting bodies
Susan was finally despatched on a loss of life march to Bergen-Belsen, the place she lived amongst piles of rotting our bodiesCredit score: Getty

Susan's brother Laci was often overwhelmed by different boys at soccer matches, however the household's complaints to the council have been dismissed.

Ultimately, the Jewish households have been instructed they could possibly be resettled away from the violence and the fathers have been referred to as to a gathering, below the guise of discussing a greater life for them.

As a substitute, they have been despatched to work camps. Susan says: "We have been referred to as to say goodbye to my father and I noticed him being overwhelmed up and herded onto a lorry, along with the Jewish males.

"I by no means noticed him once more. An area Christian lady who took a basket of meals to him instructed us he was unrecognisable, they have been so brutal to him. In all probability beating, ravenous, bodily abuse."

Not lengthy after, Susan, then 13, her mom and Laci, 15, have been instructed to pack their luggage.

They have been taken to a ghetto in Vác after which an internment camp - the place they slept outdoor - earlier than one other practice journey.

That they had no thought they have been being despatched to Auschwitz - and would not have identified what it meant if that they had.

'One other woman instructed me "your mom was taken to the fuel chambers". I did not know what this meant'

Susan says: "We have been jam packed right into a cattle practice - largely ladies, infants and kids. I bear in mind there have been two buckets, one for a bathroom and one for ingesting water.

"We have been suffocating, the buckets spilled. Many did not survive the journey, particularly younger kids and infants.

"When the doorways opened up, we have been joyful, we lastly obtained some contemporary air. Then the fact hit us. It was indescribable.

"We have been numb and abruptly individuals have been shouting ‘get out, get out’. We had no thought the place we have been. We have been completely terrified.

"A Hungarian lady whispered to me ‘don’t say you’re youthful than 15’. I simply nodded, so when the Germans got here, I mentioned I used to be 15. I suppose that was my saviour, that I used to be thought of to be helpful for a short time for slave labour."

Sadly Susan's mom was not so fortunate. She says: "My mum was in her late 40s, however very worn and petite and distressed. She was faraway from us, and my brother was taken away with a bunch of boys.

"I used to be taken to a barrack, a giant wood shack with three ranges inside. The Hungarian-speaking women approached us and requested ‘what occurred to your mum?’ I mentioned ‘she was taken away’ and so they mentioned ‘oh she was taken to the fuel chambers’.

"I didn’t perceive what this meant, it did not penetrate, this woman telling me her personal mom was gassed. That camp was the Satan's place."

'My brother was compelled to maneuver our bodies at Auschwitz - he all the time feared coming throughout a corpse from our household'

In the meantime, Laci was compelled to work within the Sonderkommando, transferring our bodies from the fuel chambers to the ovens.

They reconnected years later, the only real survivors from their household.

Susan remembers: "The one factor my brother mentioned was, he was all the time fearful he would possibly come throughout a corpse from our household.

"I didn’t know what to say. He was affected very badly, for all of his life." Laci handed away in 1995.

In Auschwitz, she lived in Barracks made up of three rows, like these pictured
In Auschwitz, she lived in Barracks made up of three rows, like these picturedCredit score: Getty

Susan experienced antisemitism from an early age
Susan skilled antisemitism from an early ageCredit score: Getty Photographs - Getty

The train tracks which carried Jews and other Nazi victims into Auschwitz
The practice tracks which carried Jews and different Nazi victims into AuschwitzCredit score: Getty

Susan lived in Auschwitz for round three months. She says: "I didn’t see something of the camp, we weren’t allowed to stroll round.

"We have been ravenous, that was all that was on my thoughts. There was no meals, just a few watered down slosh or soup within the morning.

"The hunger, day after day, ravaged our our bodies. Us women have been examined by any person referred to as Dr Josef Mengele, stark bare, little women.

"We have been often inspected and should you have been seen to be reducing weight quickly, you went taken straight into the fuel chambers, not appropriate for work anymore, ineffective.

"On one event, I used to be chosen. But it surely wasn't for the fuel chambers, it was for slave labour."

'Dr Josef Mengele would study us women, stark bare. When you have been reducing weight quickly, you have been despatched straight to the fuel chambers'

Susan was despatched to Guben, Germany, to work in an armaments manufacturing facility, testing gear.

She says circumstances have been extra beneficial there, till the Nazis realised they have been shedding the struggle and herded their prisoners off to Bergen-Belsen.

She says: "The Germans didn’t wish to be recognised as violent, worse than wild animals, so we have been despatched on a loss of life march.

"It was an extended stroll, over weeks and the winter was harsh. Once more we had no meals. Often we obtained some from a farmer, but it surely didn’t occur frequently, or we’d scrape meals from below the ice.

"Many couldn’t sustain with the marching so that they have been shot, or died from hunger."

Susan with her husband - fellow survivor Abraham Pollack
Susan together with her husband - fellow survivor Abraham PollackCredit score: Susan Pollack

Susan with a group of friends in Sweden after the war
Susan with a bunch of mates in Sweden after the struggleCredit score: Susan Pollack

After the liberation ofBergen-Belsen, Susan was taken to hospital in Sweden - to be handled for tuberculosis, typhoid and extreme malnutrition.

She then settled in Canada, the place she met husband Abraham, a fellow survivor, earlier than transferring to London in 1963.

The couple have been married for 60 years and had three youngsters and 6 grandkids collectively.

Abraham - who Susan describes as "a beautiful man, very arduous working, reliable and a superb, sort human being" - died in 2015.

In the meantime Susan nonetheless travels round colleges with the Holocaust Instructional Belief, telling her story. She says: "I by no means obtained over it solely, only a few of us do after the barbaric circumstances we had seen and skilled.

"It by no means leaves you, the reminiscence stays without end. By no means thoughts that it’s 80 years in the past, it appears like yesterday.

"It isn't straightforward for me to talk about however I accomplish that to warn individuals, 'sufficient of antisemitism, know what it could possibly result in'. It doesn’t simply kill the Jews, it killed many others.

"Telling my story is my remedy. Antisemitism must be defeated in any respect prices, as a result of it devours not solely the victims, however the entire of civilisation."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post