‘Mentally it killed me’ – Anthony Joshua opens up on Oleksandr Usyk loss and vows ‘I will redeem myself’ in rematch

ANTHONY JOSHUA has opened up on the struggles he suffered mentally after defeat to Oleksandr Usyk however vowed: "I'll redeem myself."

Joshua surrendered the unified WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles in September after a 12-round masterclass by Usyk.

Anthony Joshua has vowed to 'redeem' himself in a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk
Anthony Joshua has vowed to 'redeem' himself in a rematch with Oleksandr UsykCredit score: Getty

It was solely AJ's second ever loss, following a shock spherical seven stoppage to Andy Ruiz Jr in June 2019.

Joshua, 32, then beat Ruiz, additionally 32, within the rematch six months later - and is now plotting related revenge in opposition to Usyk, 34.

He advised Sky Sports activities: “I've excessive expectations of myself.

“That’s why I felt like once I misplaced the primary time I by no means made excuses however I had my purpose.

"I took my loss however I knew I might get it again. So I simply brushed that one. However this one harm as a result of I used to be 100 per cent.

"There have been no issues. Every part was cool. I simply went in there and simply misplaced to the higher man on the night time, and it harm.

"However it gave me motivation to tug myself out of that place. Mentally it killed me, and I fought my manner again, and I'll redeem myself.”

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

Joshua has been left questioning his coaching group after the great defeat to Usyk.

AJ has since frolicked in America visiting a number of gyms and coaches, forward of his contracted rematch with the Ukrainian this 12 months.

He was even noticed within the health club with boxing legend Floyd Mayweather, 44, throughout a latest journey to Dubai.

Joshua has not but confirmed whether or not he'll change head coach Rob McCracken, or add to his coaching group.

However he admitted there's now no margin for error, with the possibility to regain his heavyweight throne on the horizon.

I belong on the large stage. I belong as a champion. I belong amongst the names of this present technology.

Anthony Joshua

Joshua mentioned: "Let’s concentrate on what’s wanted. It has to return from the top-down. I’m the final piece of the puzzle. I’m the final efficiency.

“So we’re speaking about game-planning, mindset, mind coaching, our strategy to sparring and what we’re getting out of it.

"Dietary wants, sleep, restoration, mindset coaching to what I’m listening to musically, motivational speeches, and stuff like that.

"That is the most important stage of my profession, combating for the heavyweight championship of the world.

“I belong on the large stage. I belong as a champion. I belong amongst the names of this present technology.

"If I didn’t struggle one of the best, I could have by no means misplaced [in my career]. I do know individuals have excessive expectations of me as effectively, and I believe that’s why they're so shocked [when I lose].” 

Anthony Joshua after defeat to Oleksandr Usyk
Anthony Joshua after defeat to Oleksandr UsykCredit score: Richard Pelham / The Solar

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post