It’s taken me years to embrace my curly hair – I once used an iron as a straightener – here are six hair rules I live by

FIDGETING with nerves within the salon chair, I knew the time had come for “the large chop”.

I used to be 18 and ­visualising my new bouncy, quick bob because the hairdresser sliced off my drying lifeless ends.

Keshia says: 'Growing up, it took me a while to embrace my hair. I am mixed race, born to a white British father and a black African mother'
Keshia says: 'Rising up, it took me some time to embrace my hair. I'm combined race, born to a white British father and a black African mom'Credit score: catherine harbour

Keshia at her graduation in 2013 with her popstar sister Fleur
Keshia at her commencement in 2013 along with her popstar sister Fleur

However a few days later, after I washed and reset it to its ­pure state, I realised how horrible it regarded.

My tight curls sprang again into motion and took the size with it, my hair sitting on the high of my ears.

It was terrible.

However after the preliminary shock, my new wholesome hair thanked me for it — and this was the start of a brand new journey.

A journey that now many others are becoming a member of.

Lockdown welcomed a curly hair motion, as breaks from sizzling instruments noticed many rediscover their pure texture, ensuing within the hashtag #Quarantine Curls going viral.

Celebrities started releasing their waves, with Khloe Kardashian the newest to disclose she too has put a bounce again into her hair.

And actress Gabrielle Union, who starred in 2000 movie Deliver It On, revealed how she has gone from “hating” her pure hair to embracing it with “energy” and “variety”.

Consequently, enterprise for curly care manufacturers has soared.

London-based Solely Curls reported a 300 per cent year-on-year development and within the first ten days of 2022 it has taken TRIPLE the variety of orders, in comparison with this time final yr.

Founder Lizzie Carter began Solely Curls to encourage individuals to chorus from utilizing straighteners day by day.

Rising up, it took me some time to embrace my hair. I'm combined race, born to a white British father and a black African mom.

Each of my mother and father have been completely out of their component when it got here to taking care of my hair.

It might both be super-frizzy with no product when my dad did it, or overly saturated with merchandise and put in plaits when my mum stepped in.

It was uncommon that I wore the curls I used to be born with.

Ultimately my mum determined to loosen up my hair after I was seven — my hair was given a chemical remedy that completely straightened it.

By the age of 13, I took over the reins. I finished stress-free it however stored straightening it.

I'd use essentially the most weird issues, from trying to provide myself a bouncy blow dry (this by no means labored) to utilizing an iron to straighten it — sure, an iron.

My sister – X Issue singer Fleur East – tried this too.

We'd put a mattress sheet or towel on the ground then we'd iron one another’s hair in sections.

We'd put a mattress sheet or towel on the ground then we'd iron one another’s hair in sections.

Keshia East

I by no means disliked my naturally curly hair, however individuals have made feedback about it.

When Eamonn Holmes stated he wish to “pet” Dr Zoe Williams’ hair on ITV’s This Morning and referred to it as very “alpaca-ish”, it jogged my memory of the quantity of instances full strangers have needed to the touch mine.

"As soon as, somebody went so far as asking me: “The place did you purchase your hair?”

I replied: “My mom’s womb.” What was I alleged to say to that?

Many different individuals have additionally assumed my naturally curly hair was a wig.

Eamonn’s fellow presenter Dermot O’Leary additionally made a blunder on on This Morning when he requested his co-host Alison Hammond how she “received her curls like that”.

Alison responded: ‘It’s pretend hair. This can be a protecting fashion.

“Once I wish to defend my hair for some time, I braid my hair beneath after which I connect these to it. It’s not even actual hair, it’s artificial.”

However we should always not have to inform individuals whether or not our hair is pure or not, ought to we?

Whereas we now have needed to discover ways to deal with our hair, we now have additionally needed to educate others, too.

Fortunately, issues are altering.

Fifteen years in the past there weren't any curly hair sections in mainstream retail shops and there was not a lot info on-line about the way to take care of it.

So it was extraordinarily exhausting to know what to do — and mine received uncared for a bit.

Having merchandise tailor-made to my hair available in excessive streets shops corresponding to Boots and Superdrug completely modified my relationship with my hair.

Taking care of my naturally curly hair is not a chore, it’s a ritual of self-care and I've by no means beloved it greater than I do now.

Keshia East

My go-to product for years has been Boots Necessities Curl Cream (£1.99).

Now, I spend lots of time nurturing it.

I wash it each two weeks on common.

This doesn’t look like rather a lot however it’s a full course of. Any extra and I discover it too drying.

First, I'll pre-treat my hair utilizing oils or a pre-shampoo, which is a remedy you do beforehand for additional moisture.

I wash and situation earlier than detangling in sections, as curly hair is extra susceptible to critical knots.

If I've time I'll steam with a hair masks then rinse it out and magnificence with merchandise.

I then refresh my hair each two to a few days by re-wetting and making use of extra merchandise to maintain the curls contemporary and the hair wholesome.

Now I completely love my curls and wouldn’t put on them every other method.

My story proves that inclusivity within the retail area is so essential.

My experiences additionally led me to create my very own hair instruments firm, No Knot Co, which provides particular brushes designed for curls.

Taking care of my naturally curly hair is not a chore, it’s a ritual of self-care and I've by no means beloved it greater than I do now.

Keshia looking happy again with her locks
Keshia trying joyful once more along with her locks

Keshia aged three
Keshia aged three

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post