Don Maynard dead at 86: New York Jets receiver who won Super Bowl III passes away as Hall of Famers remember star

NEW York Jets star Don Maynard has died at 86 years previous.

Corridor of Fame president Jim Porter mentioned in a press release: "Our Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame household mourns the passing of Don Maynard.

New York Jets wide receiver Don Maynard has died
New York Jets extensive receiver Don Maynard has diedCredit score: Getty Pictures - Getty

The star was 86 when he died
The star was 86 when he diedCredit score: Getty Pictures - Getty

"He was a resilient man on and off the sector -- and somebody that his teammates may at all times rely on.

“He was humble, and maybe the easiest way to recollect Don is thru his personal phrases – from his Enshrinement speech:

‘I got here to play, and I got here to remain. Soccer was a recreation; Nation Don was my title. I made a mark, and I grew to become a star, with numerous assist from close to and much. There are good ones and nice ones, I performed with and towards. Thanks, good Lord, for that fantastic probability. As I performed my half many instances even late after darkish, I don’t must look again as I performed it with my coronary heart. The path from the place I got here, resulted in an entire lot of fame. I performed one of the best and I consider I handed the check. I'm glad that is over; I want some relaxation.’”

The star died on Monday, nonetheless, his reason for demise stays unclear.

Maynard started his profession with the New York Giants in 1958, earlier than shifting on to the Jets - the place he spent nearly all of his skilled profession.

He joined the team- who was then generally known as the New York Titans - in 1960.

He continued to play for the staff for the subsequent 12 seasons, and was a key member of the Tremendous Bowl III championship staff.

Maynard retired in 1973. He was considered one of solely 5 gamers to file greater than 50 receptions and greater than 1,000 receiving yards in 5 totally different seasons.

He additionally had skilled information on the time together with his 11,834 receiving yards on 633 catches.

The star even nonetheless holds the Jets franchise information in catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns - 627, 11,732 and 88 respectively.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post